Aussie acro colonies or well known ones

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like 90% of the brightly colored high price tag acros are indo. Anyone have / know of any good looking Aussie ones?

As far as I know, Aussie are hard to keep so there isn’t many. However there are certain smoothies and tenuis!

Last edited:

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the SSC Microclados variants are Aussie, A. Nasuta, A. Clathrata, A. Donei (fireworks, Merlin staff types) A. Divaricata, A. Echintata A. Vermiculata to name a few of the more common in the trade but there’s ton of nice Aussie stuff

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the SSC Microclados variants are Aussie, A. Nasuta, A. Clathrata, A. Donei (fireworks, Merlin staff types) A. Divaricata, A. Echintata A. Vermiculata to name a few of the more common in the trade but there’s ton of nice Aussie stuff
Any trade name examples of Aussie Vermiculata? I think HOTO is one of them.

My favorite I think its Pink Lemonade (it's Aussie right?)

Merlin staff type were always nice too!

It's nice to see how big the chunks are at LFS in comparison to Indo, but I don't think I have seen many Aussie acros being sold on R2R sales forum anyway.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best Spaths, Millepora, Echinata, etc. come from Australia.

Most aussie stuff is wild and not mari. The mari stuff was chosen to do better in captivity before they planted them. Wild stuff can do fine, but it takes a different type of tank to land them have them thrive.

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any trade name examples of Aussie Vermiculata? I think HOTO is one of them.

My favorite I think its Pink Lemonade (it's Aussie right?)

Merlin staff type were always nice too!

It's nice to see how big the chunks are at LFS in comparison to Indo, but I don't think I have seen many Aussie acros being sold on R2R sales forum anyway.
Not sure of trade names. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the corals being sold as Tenuis are actually Vermiculata. HOTO looks like a vermi.

I have quite a few pieces in my collection that came from wild aussie colonies and are some of my favorite.

I think the majority of imports are coming from the Indo mari farms so that’s what you see the most of these days.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HotO is a Hoek or a Vermi. Peng got it from a local store in an indo shipment - he posted about it if you want to find it somewhere.

Aussie stuff that makes it is as nice as it gets. Don't forget a nice Aussie A. Plana - these often have 3-5 colors and are legit under any lighting and work well in lots of tanks.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HotO is a Hoek or a Vermi. Peng got it from a local store in an indo shipment - he posted about it if you want to find it somewhere.

Aussie stuff that makes it is as nice as it gets. Don't forget a nice Aussie A. Plana - these often have 3-5 colors and are legit under any lighting and work well in lots of tanks.
Yea! That’s a species I got my eyes on; the colonies are always bigger and I always thought of giving it a try

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seems like 90% of the brightly colored high price tag acros are indo. Anyone have / know of any good looking Aussie ones?

As far as I know, Aussie are hard to keep so there isn’t many. However there are certain smoothies and tenuis!
I love Aussie stuff! most of my what we’d call “signature” collection ,was built by the surviving frags off wild Aussie colonies that eventually perished.

I’ve grown out so many of these. It’s glorious!

Frags of these colonies tend to do well. The colonies as a whole Are hit or miss if I’m being generous.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A seemingly good source for Aussie colonies is Corals.com. They seem to get regular shipments of them

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Aussie stuff! most of my what we’d call “signature” collection ,was built by the surviving frags off wild Aussie colonies that eventually perished.

I’ve grown out so many of these. It’s glorious!

Frags of these colonies tend to do well. The colonies as a whole Are hit or miss if I’m being generous.
That’s awesome!

Yea I noticed some probably aren’t from indo.

How long do you tend to keep it before cutting up?

For me, I think all “medium” colony tends to be the same. Got a mari from indo 2 years, didn’t grow (did color up) then perished.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s awesome!

Yea I noticed some probably aren’t from indo.

How long do you tend to keep it before cutting up?

For me, I think all “medium” colony tends to be the same. Got a mari from indo 2 years, didn’t grow (did color up) then perished.
As soon as they're out of QT, I generally get Frags to grow out on tiles right away, just in case the colony doesn't make it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back