AWC and ATO Question

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting the following Automatic Water Change system: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/awc-auto-water-changer-plus-ato-autoaqua.html?browse_eid=52c320e0-2bdd-4588-a188-a0994e4b3133&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/awc-auto-water-changer-plus-ato-autoaqua.html&utm_content=Here's+to+a+year+of+successful+reefing!&utm_campaign=Specials+010119&_bta_tid=33190560165476391548835156702378152832654124243775472288083968008571544889437175470752962584034138377318 .

I already have the Tunze Ozmolator 3155 ATO and would like to keep using it. The question I have is for anyone who is using this AWC with another ATO. How do you stop the ATO from filling when the AWC is running besides unplugging the ATO every time which would defeat the purpose of having an automatic system?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get that particular item I am curious why you feel the need to keep using the Tunze? Do you have a Neptune Apex? If not, you can place a digital timer on the Tunze to turn off during the time-frame you have programmed for the AWC. See the Manual. http://www.autoaqua.com.tw/en/manual/SAWC-200P.pdf

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this device in action and while it it would work for a very small aquarium it would not be effective for large tanks. The pumps are very small and would not be able to push the water very far or a great amount if you wanted too. An Auto water changes need to have pumps that can draw water from a large tank and this is generally in an other room or basement the pumps that come with this system have low head pressure so the water would have to be below the tank. This is also a non peristaltic pump so not the correct delivery every single time.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get that particular item I am curious why you feel the need to keep using the Tunze? Do you have a Neptune Apex? If not, you can place a digital timer on the Tunze to turn off during the time-frame you have programmed for the AWC. See the Manual. http://www.autoaqua.com.tw/en/manual/SAWC-200P.pdf
I do have an Apex, but didn't want to use up three slots just for the AWC. Not sure why I didn't think of a timer though...thanks!

Since you brought the Apex up though, I wonder if it would be easier and or cheaper to just hook up some pumps and use optical sensors with the breakout box to create my own AWC.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this device in action and while it it would work for a very small aquarium it would not be effective for large tanks. The pumps are very small and would not be able to push the water very far or a great amount if you wanted too. An Auto water changes need to have pumps that can draw water from a large tank and this is generally in an other room or basement the pumps that come with this system have low head pressure so the water would have to be below the tank. This is also a non peristaltic pump so not the correct delivery every single time.
Yes, I have seen all the reviews and was planning on replacing the pumps that come with the AWC. BRS did a video on how to do that and you can use any pumps you want to accommodate the tank size and distance from the tank.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I forgot to answer your question...

I have used the Tunze for a while now and trust it. It is one of the highest recommended ATO's and I really like the fact that it has an optical and a float sensor as well as an audio alarm that is as annoying as it can get so there is no way to miss it. That is the main reason why I would prefer to keep using Tunze even though the AWC System also has it's own ATO.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an Apex, but didn't want to use up three slots just for the AWC. Not sure why I didn't think of a timer though...thanks!

Since you brought the Apex up though, I wonder if it would be easier and or cheaper to just hook up some pumps and use optical sensors with the breakout box to create my own AWC.
It would be cheaper depending on the pumps you choose. You don/t need to use three outlets just two. You can just shut down the Tunze via Apex instead of buying a timer... If you buy the AWC/ATO. I found it just easier and cheaper to buy the DOS for AWC with my Tunze. If you factor in the replacement cost of changing out pumps and the increased accuracy of the DOS I think that would be the best road. $200 for the AWC/ATO plus extra pumps and associated hardware plus any timer etc and you are at the cost of a DOS already but with decreased accuracy IMO.Go with the DOS and the TUnze you already have and save yourself some headaches.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be cheaper depending on the pumps you choose. You don/t need to use three outlets just two. You can just shut down the Tunze via Apex instead of buying a timer... If you buy the AWC/ATO. I found it just easier and cheaper to buy the DOS for AWC with my Tunze. If you factor in the replacement cost of changing out pumps and the increased accuracy of the DOS I think that would be the best road. $200 for the AWC/ATO plus extra pumps and associated hardware plus any timer etc and you are at the cost of a DOS already but with decreased accuracy IMO.Go with the DOS and the TUnze you already have and save yourself some headaches.
That's some solid advise, I think I will take it. Thanks!

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some solid advise, I think I will take it. Thanks!
You are welcome! I was in the exact same boat as you were and after crunching the numbers the best solution was clear.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That smart micro.system is awesome. They have plugs to switched outlets. Just plug the stock pump and add the outlet. It's how I have a smart micro pulling ato from downstairs with Avast perstalic pump. I had to do this with the full size tunze and it was a bulky mess you had to wire. This just plugs in! They so have neat sensors for high and low level alarms and skimmer cups.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-ac-socket-autoaqua.html

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back