AWC with adjacent tank

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,460
Reaction score
1,480
Location
Cary, NC
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have two tanks on my desk, one is an 8" cube and the other is an Fluval Spec 16. I'm struggling to get the smaller tank to stabilize & establish, and it continues to get covered in cyanobacteria despite no feeding or other nutrient inputs (coral only in this tank) and using the same water source as the Spec 16. In lieu of plumbing the tanks together, which would be complicated and require drilling, I'm considering setting up an automatic water change to simply exchange some water volume between the two tanks regularly. Has anyone tried something similar or see any reason why this wouldn't work to stabilize and reduce maintenance on the smaller tank?
 
In theory, if all is well and calibrated, it's fine. The gotcha is when one of the pumps fails, something clogs, or they're out of calibration. Then one tank is losing water and one is likely going to overflow.

I thought about something similar and that was what stopped me. By the time the safety equipment was in place, it'd be cheaper and faster to drill and plumb.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new