Back In

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few years out of the hobby, I'm getting back in.

I bought a 50ish g corner pentagon tank yesterday. Measuring 23" on the side walls, 13" on the front three walls, and 25" deep. I would've preferred a more standard shape and size but my wife liked this tank and her blessing made me go with this shape. I know that the bottom is likely tempered glass, so that nixes the possibility of me drilling it to put in an internal overflow. Which is also causing me to consider not going with a sump/fuge all together. I'll post pictures of my progress as I go.

One question, for now, any suggestions on LED/wattage amount for a tank of his depth? My last tank was not this deep so I'm unsure of how much power to go with in the lighting department. I also don't want to break the bank either.

Thanks,
Joey in West Knoxville

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby!

You could still do a bean animal type coast to coast overflow by drilling through the back.

I would suggest an AI Prime as far as the LEDs go. Have never heard a bad thing about them.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Tough to stay away! I choose the xr-15 for my 29g bio-cube, for what it's worth.
Good luck!

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Are either of these lights going to punch 25" deep" I know I don't have to get great PAR all the way down to the sand bed, but it would be nice to get close.
As for drilling the sides, I'm not sure if they're tempered or not. I would assume not, but I'd hate to be wrong.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI prime is your best bet, great sleek look good mounting options, full control from your iPhone or Android without the need to purchase an additional controller. They are plenty strong enough for that tank. Plus the price over radions, it's almost a no brainier.

Also Joey, I've got a eshopps rs75 sump and a few different hang on overflow as well as return pumps, lol I've got all the equipment you'd need. Give me a call, I'll pm you my number.

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate. I was leaning toward the prime anyway. The control capability alone looks amazing.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing some of the equipment you have.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to R2R!

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is soaking in vinegar water today. Hope to have it in the house this weekend to get sand and rocks in it. Still have to figure out how I'm going to do the plumbing since I have pretty much decided on going with a sump. I'll get pics up once it comes in the house.

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it did. It make it into the house. I decided to build a new stand for more inside room and stability. I did, however, order lights and a powerhead. I went with an AI Prime and a Jebao RW4.

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it did. It make it into the house. I decided to build a new stand for more inside room and stability. I did, however, order lights and a powerhead. I went with an AI Prime and a Jebao RW4.
That should've said, did make it in the house.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the equipment works out for you Joey, it was nice meeting you!

Make sure to clean that rock really well, there are lots of guides here on the site.

If you have any issues or need anything, you've got my info fell free to use it anytime.

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the equipment works out for you Joey, it was nice meeting you!

Make sure to clean that rock really well, there are lots of guides here on the site.

If you have any issues or need anything, you've got my info fell free to use it anytime.
Thanks. I've all the rock in an 18g Rubbermaid bin soaking in vinegar water. The rest of the equipment is soaking in the sump in vinegar water.

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered an AI Prime, Prime tank mount, Jebao RW4, and a few other things Sunday night. I got all the equipment delivered today except the LED itself. That powerhead is not as big as I expected, which is nice. Can't wait to try it out. LED should deliver tomorrow. I'm getting excited!

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Joey! I think you'll be very happy with that light and end up with some sweet colors from the control capabilities.

How's the rock bath going?

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let it sit for one more night tonight. I'll try to take it out and rinse it with FW tomorrow night and then let it sit in the sun as weather permits this weekend. Should be good to go after that.

OP
OP
jmann124

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting the stand tomorrow. In the meantime, what sand is everyone using? I'm considering Tropic Eden Reefflakes but I don't think I'll need a full 30lb bag, plus its $50/bag. I plan to keep a goby and pistol shrimp so I don't want to go too fine with the grain size nor too coarse. I also don't like bb.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back