Bacteria question

nikospsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a reef tank for approximately 3 months now. My tank is about 400 litres and right now it hosts 2 clown fish 2 cardinals a diamond goby and 2 soft corals. Every month at some point the water becomes foggy with “white” smoke usually for a week (maybe less). I understand that it probably is bacteria trying to balance in a new tank.This thing happens like once a month. My question is should I add bacteria ( I use bioptim and biodigest) while the tank is in this condition or should I wait until the water is clear?All the tests came out very good so no problem there.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a reef tank for approximately 3 months now. My tank is about 400 litres and right now it hosts 2 clown fish 2 cardinals a diamond goby and 2 soft corals. Every month at some point the water becomes foggy with “white” smoke usually for a week (maybe less). I understand that it probably is bacteria trying to balance in a new tank.This thing happens like once a month. My question is should I add bacteria ( I use bioptim and biodigest) while the tank is in this condition or should I wait until the water is clear?All the tests came out very good so no problem there.
what else happens once a month?

OP
OP
nikospsa

nikospsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo for reference

Attachments

• 5394C819-D0EC-4019-8B42-F5AE2B4CE914.jpeg
    5394C819-D0EC-4019-8B42-F5AE2B4CE914.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 31

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a beginner so i can't say what you should do. it is just weird that the 'bloom' repeats itself. are you journaling your tank? i started a spreadsheet with test results, additions, observations, etc. this helped me match cyano growth to the skimmer operation. Keep after it, you may discover the cause. What exactly is iodio+?
your actual question about when to add the bacteria: the literature suggests using the biodigest for the first 15 days and the bioptim every 15 days to feed the biodigest bacteria. the iodio+ is for hard corals if you have gotten through the nitrogen cycle the fish and the food you feed them should supply the food for the bacteria the trace elements supplied by the iodio+ may be in excess of what the tank needs.
welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
nikospsa

nikospsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a beginner so i can't say what you should do. it is just weird that the 'bloom' repeats itself. are you journaling your tank? i started a spreadsheet with test results, additions, observations, etc. this helped me match cyano growth to the skimmer operation. Keep after it, you may discover the cause. What exactly is iodio+?
your actual question about when to add the bacteria: the literature suggests using the biodigest for the first 15 days and the bioptim every 15 days to feed the biodigest bacteria. the iodio+ is for hard corals if you have gotten through the nitrogen cycle the fish and the food you feed them should supply the food for the bacteria the trace elements supplied by the iodio+ may be in excess of what the tank needs.
welcome to R2R!!
Thanks for your answer. Yeap I am journaling the tank but everything is stable so there is nothing to deduce from the results of the tests. I stopped iodio 3 weeks ago and the tank cleared, then a snail died so again bacteria bloom, after 2 days it cleared again and after a week again bacteria bloom. Nothing happened between the last time and the current one. No new fish no deaths no supplements. It Is weird isn’t it?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back