Bad algae or coralline?

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. So my rank has never gotten coralline to start. It’s about a 3 year old tank. Was supposed to be a mixed reef but only has fish still. Pretty much about a year into the tank I bought a new house and remodeled. Spent too much money so decided to spend some more on a new tank. Bought the xxl750 about 2 yrs ago but barely setting it up. So the old tank wasn’t taken care of real well since I always thought transferring to new tank “very soon”.

Now that I’m in the middle of the transfer (yes actually happening) the old tank got coralline on the glass but I’m not sure if it’s coralline on the rocks or something else. Here is a pic
IMG_3003.jpeg

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. So my rank has never gotten coralline to start. It’s about a 3 year old tank. Was supposed to be a mixed reef but only has fish still. Pretty much about a year into the tank I bought a new house and remodeled. Spent too much money so decided to spend some more on a new tank. Bought the xxl750 about 2 yrs ago but barely setting it up. So the old tank wasn’t taken care of real well since I always thought transferring to new tank “very soon”.

Now that I’m in the middle of the transfer (yes actually happening) the old tank got coralline on the glass but I’m not sure if it’s coralline on the rocks or something else. Here is a pic
IMG_3003.jpeg
That looks like coralline to me. If you can remove it easily using a turkey baster or manually it’s most likely cyano. If not it’s probably coralline. I’m pretty sure it’s coralline though. @vetteguy53081?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_3003.jpeg
Looks like what is called foraminiferans. They are made up of spheres and best removal (while some people keep them ) is to take rock out of the tank and place in container of water and scrub it off with firm brushes. They are non-bacterial and feed on certain bacterias and a sign of diversity, For those who dont want its presence, you can try to press it down with thumb pressure and peel it back and remove otherwise scrub with firm brushes like below from Harbor freight.

detail brush.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like what is called foraminiferans. They are made up of spheres and best removal (while some people keep them ) is to take rock out of the tank and place in container of water and scrub it off with firm brushes. They are non-bacterial and feed on certain bacterias and a sign of diversity, For those who dont want its presence, you can try to press it down with thumb pressure and peel it back and remove otherwise scrub with firm brushes like below from Harbor freight.

detail brush.png
Thank you @vetteguy53081 Ya it looks a little darker than the coralline on the glass. My entire glass has coralline but no where on the rocks. It’s a lot darker red on the rocks so I know it’s not the same coralline from the glass which is pinker

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 actually after looking at some pics I don’t think it foram. Online for a pics look like the same color but they are raised almost looking like coral. This here in my tank is flat and all over the rocks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 actually after looking at some pics I don’t think it foram. Online for a pics look like the same color but they are raised almost looking like coral. This here in my tank is flat and all over the rocks
Please submit clearer pics under white light intensity

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be one of several organisms depending on the texture
- Red cyanobacteria (slimy, comes off easily)
- Encrusting red macroalgae, like Hildenbrandia, Peyssonnelia, and coralline algae (crusty)
- Red turf algae (fuzzy)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back