Bad smell

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have a 20 gal wide coral tank. It has 3 corals currently but it is having a nasty smell. I’m doing a water change but I usually do water changes every 1-2 weeks. Last time my water smelled bad, the next day the entire thing crashed and it was cloudy, rotten fish smelling, and everything was dead. I hope that is not the route I’m going down again

OP
OP
FindingPonyo

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow in my tank is really good. I have an adjustable wave maker that pushed the water as it comes from the filter. See vid—
These are my parameters from my test strips
image.jpg

avgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have carbon sponges in the filter and I make my own filter cartridges. Mesh bag and I pour in carbon from Petco.
How long has the tank been set up? Try testing for ammonia. If something happened or your nitrifying bacteria just don't like you they could've died and thats why your nitrites and nitrates are low is because its not being converted from ammonia.
Activated carbon also is very good for removing smells and clearing up water but is not a preventative matter but a treatment for a problem. Are you using RO/DI water? Also maybe try putting the powerhead on the other side of the tank? Because the powerhead and the filter are on the same side it could be creating a dead zone at the other side of the tank.

OP
OP
FindingPonyo

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up? Try testing for ammonia. If something happened or your nitrifying bacteria just don't like you they could've died and thats why your nitrites and nitrates are low is because its not being converted from ammonia.
Activated carbon also is very good for removing smells and clearing up water but is not a preventative matter but a treatment for a problem. Are you using RO/DI water? Also maybe try putting the powerhead on the other side of the tank? Because the powerhead and the filter are on the same side it could be creating a dead zone at the other side of the tank.
Wow, you are very smart. Thank you!!!

OP
OP
FindingPonyo

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using my refrigerator water. It is purified and good. I have used it on my frog, and it is 14 yrs old. It has worked In my other tanks tho. My filter cartridge is literally just a mesh bag with a handful are carbon in it. I don’t have an ammonia tester it isn’t in my reef master test kit. It has been set up since december.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to tell you this, but test strips are worse than worthless. This is because they are notoriously unreliable and can lead one to believe that parameters are okay when they are in fact widely out of range. I commonly tell people that they only thing they are good for is measuring the depth of your trash can.

Do yourself a huge favor and get a good set of tests such as the Salifert or Red Sea brands. If you are serious about reefing, this will be the best money you will ever spend. Pass on the API kits available in most pet stores -- they are only a marginal improvement over the test strips.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
ADD Carbon !!! Will destroy decay and odor, I recommend chemipure blue.
Do water change and that test strip test - I question it. Take a nice water sample to a trusted pet store and have them test for you to confirm your readings are accurate.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also refrigerator water may only be RO water, you need the DI also. Or get distilled water

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not only should you get some better test kits, you should invest in a RO/DI filter. Your refrigerator water is not ideal, especially if you are going to have corals.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back