Balancing PH

Jyoung09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone,

I’m seeking advice on balancing my ph levels. Fairly new tank that has been running for about 5 months now. All my other levels have been great and no issues but for some reason my ph levels hang out around 7.7 I put my ph buffer in and it will be at about 8.1-8.2 for a day and then right back down to 7.7

Just checked my graphs on the controller. I’m stable at 7.83 at the hottest point of the day and 7.7 at the coldest.

Is this a concern for anyone? Or is there something I can be doing to stay around the 8.0 mark.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

pH is one of those parameters that you can usually safely avoid chasing. Adding buffer to increase your pH will also increase your alkalinity. Adding too much buffer will push your alkalinity too high. 7.8 is the low side of "OK" in terms of pH. You're right, that you'd like to be above 8 though.

You say coldest and hottest parts of the day. Are you running the heat where you live? Excess CO2 in the air can drive your pH lower in your tank. There are a few ways to test for this and a few ways to combat it if that's the issue.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as already said as long as the pH level is ok then leave it alone and don't chase it unless you have a very valid reason to change it.

My system runs from around 7.7 to 8 most of the time during winter, but everything is happy, and alive, so its fine.

OP
OP
Jyoung09

Jyoung09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative on the heat. No heater or chillers for my location. Thanks Florida lol

I just looked st the graphs and noticed it. At my highest tank temp I have the highest ph reading and same with the lowest temp. The levels stay consistent which I would say is a plus I would just like to stick at that 8 mark.

Alk testing will be done sometime this week also. See what that reading gives.

OP
OP
Jyoung09

Jyoung09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as already said as long as the pH level is ok then leave it alone and don't chase it unless you have a very valid reason to change it.

My system runs from around 7.7 to 8 most of the time during winter, but everything is happy, and alive, so its fine.

Awesome! I just wasn’t sure if it was a cause for concern at all. All livestock seem just fine.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative on the heat. No heater or chillers for my location. Thanks Florida lol

I just looked st the graphs and noticed it. At my highest tank temp I have the highest ph reading and same with the lowest temp. The levels stay consistent which I would say is a plus I would just like to stick at that 8 mark.

Alk testing will be done sometime this week also. See what that reading gives.
Gotcha. Could still be high indoor CO2. Open a window in the room as the tank and see if the pH goes up after about 30 minutes.

There is a natural daily swing with pH. It will go up while your lights are on and go down when they are off. That may also coincide with the warmest and coldest temp in your tank. The temp shouldn't be varying all that much though. What's your temp swing?

OP
OP
Jyoung09

Jyoung09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try the window and see.
77 degrees is the hottest at 9pm. Lowest is 74.8 at noon. Which is right when the lights come on.

OP
OP
Jyoung09

Jyoung09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang really I didn’t think 2° was bad. I don’t do anything I have an open top. I make sure the house doesn’t get too cold or too hot.

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida too, makes opening windows impossible for half the year. My pH didn't stabilize for almost a year after I set up the tank so I have an air pump running outside air to the skimmer. Raised the tank pH by about 0.1 to 0.2. It used to sit around the same as yours, now it sits between 8.1 and 8.3. Low pH is very common in new tanks.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang really I didn’t think 2° was bad. I don’t do anything I have an open top. I make sure the house doesn’t get too cold or too hot.
You don’t have a heater in the tank at all? 74 is pretty low for our tanks. Ideally you stay above 76.

OP
OP
Jyoung09

Jyoung09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have a heater in the tank at all? 74 is pretty low for our tanks. Ideally you stay above 76.
No heaters. I have a couple just never felt the need. The lowest temp of the day is 74.8 that ive ever had. Today it didn't go any lower then 75.3. Currently it is at 77 flat and will possible go up according to my graph by the end of the night.

However PH is sitting at 7.9 right now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back