• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Bali aqua rich fish are awful

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be an elephant in the room nobody wants to touch, may it be because it’s not popular yet compared to wild counterparts, or if a fish ban went into place, the only option of captive bred may be the only hope.

I currently have a wild caught regal, have keep wild gold flakes and yellow tangs many times. I have purchased 7-8 captive bred Bali aqua rich fish, and all have died within 6 weeks of getting them. So I wondered if it was me, so I reached out to others. According to 2 prominent QT guys who do this for a living, one said they are hit or miss, and lately more miss. The 2nd said from everyone he has spoken to about it, wild angels have been more hardy then these captive bred fish.

the store by my house imports coral, and for a while was also transhipping in these captive bred fish. Recently I went there and he had none, and I asked when they would be coming in. Response was they won’t be coming here, usually once they have been here more than 2-3 weeks, I’ll find them dead. He has tried keeping them in med free water being an invert system, no fish, just snails, fan worns, shrimp etc, and in the coppered wild tanks.

about 6 weeks ago, I ordered a gold flake, regal and a yellow, along with 2 of their cb fox face. About a week ago, the gold flake started to do the spins and was dead by the next night. I just found the regal in the power head, after days of not seeing him, and also today, the yellow tang was dead on bottom, he had stopped eating a week ago. My tank has been running for a mount 2 years, all fish are out they 14 days of copper and 2 rounds of prazi pro. This tank has some delicate fish, such as an Achilles tang, 3 leopard wrasses, copperband butterfly and a wild coral sea regal. Oh and a captive bred blue line from Poma going on 2 years strong.

no signs of disease, just one day they stop eating, and soon after dead. A thousand bucks for those fish, and yay, I have 2 $50 rabbit fish out of it. I’ve asked numerous others on here how there’s was doing, the replies ii do get are either a. Decided not to keep it or b. Didn’t make it, not sure what happen.

these fish are mostly under $100 on an import list. The fact some places sell them for 6-700 , under the impression that they are hardy and a better answer to wilds that don’t adapt l, that doesn’t sit well with me.

a store about 40 minutes from me use to bring in the captive mandarins and court jesters. I asked the owner one night do these captives actually eat, he laughed and said maybe they eat when they are at wherever there being raised at.

I’m all for innovation, but this notion there hardy and a reason to spend more money is nonsense .

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well wild caught fish have much more diverse, healthy DNA. How good could the gene pool be with captive bred? Unless wild caught DNA gets injected into the breeding program captive bred will never be healthy or long lived. I’m all for captive bred but the reality is line bred fish just aren’t and can’t be nearly as good as wild caught health wise, at least not yet.

I wonder if maybe, similar to leases for mariculture areas in the ocean, perhaps there could be not-so-captive captive breeding leases in the oceans. Maybe let there be an acre or so per lease. Each company could get one lease a piece at least for now. I really believe that as long as they made netting for containment that could be seen by fish; they could breed yellow tangs more easily and with better genetics than those they’re breeding now. I’d bet they’d live at least twice as long as current captive bred fish will.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back