Banggai Cardinal getting darker and hiding

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a bonded pair of farm bred Banggai's. They were tiny when I got them and have grown a bunch, though one has grown significantly larger than the other. They've gotten on great for the last 8 months.

Recently, the smaller of the pair has started getting much darker, mostly on it's left side, around it's stomach and towards it's tail. It's been hiding a lot (especially likes to hide near the powerheads) and not eating that I've seen. It seems to be swimming fine, and is responsive and alert. My other cardinal is fine and acting normally.

No sign of fighting, no sign of disease. All other fish are doing well.

Any thoughts?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A picture would be great - under white lighting. A darkening on one side would be somewhat odd for a parasite - How old would you think your fish is>. Have you added anything else to the tank that could be a disease carrier? Could it be breathing breeding coloration? Other symptoms? Other fish sick?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran a longevity study on public aquarium Banggai cardinals - on average, they only lived 1.8 years in captivity. this was a lot less than I would have guessed. While your fish is younger than that, it still is "in the curve" for coming down with some chronic issue like mycobacterium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back