Bare bottom or not to bare bottom??

Just as the title says.... bare bottom or not??

• Yes go bare bottom you’ll love it.

• No stick with sand.

• Go with a thin layer of sand.

• Go with 4+ inches of sand.

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of sand. I hate the look of dirty sand. I did a trial temporarily when I was waiting to put up my new tank and was BB on my old tank. It still got pretty dirty if you didn't keep it clean like sand. So that said I would rather work to keep sand clean than a barebottom.
That is a good point but a BB is so much easier to clean than a sand bottom tank, its one of the main reasons I like it

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a newbie to salt water but not aquariums. For me it was never a question, I went sand. For me though it was strictly for the aesthetics, I like the look of sand in my fresh water and my now my salt water. I have plans for bigger salt water and have no doubt I will go sand with them as well. On my 34 gallon now, I'm doing the method of stirring the sand everyday to keep it clean. It takes about 5 min on a small tank, I'm not sure how viable that method will be when I go bigger.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading from my 75 to a 90 and 30 plumbed together. I have sand now and though I do gravel vac during h2o changes I o:asionally bring out my huge cleaning pump, stir the sand and clean it that way. Always amazed at the amount of crap still in the sand though I gravel vac. I will start bb and see how I like it. I can always add sand later if I want.

Ramon Estevez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a newbie to salt water but not aquariums. For me it was never a question, I went sand. For me though it was strictly for the aesthetics, I like the look of sand in my fresh water and my now my salt water. I have plans for bigger salt water and have no doubt I will go sand with them as well. On my 34 gallon now, I'm doing the method of stirring the sand everyday to keep it clean. It takes about 5 min on a small tank, I'm not sure how viable that method will be when I go bigger.

On my 125 I do the same a few days I choose a sections to stir up. That way it’s not a tedious thing and I don’t freak the fish out to much.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised with a bare bottom tank that you’d have much detritus to vacuum up. With no sand I figured that it would end up getting flushed into the filtration system. I thought this was one of the positive aspects of running bare bottom.

I guess when you run sand maybe it just accumulates more than with a bare bottom??

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised with a bare bottom tank that you’d have much detritus to vacuum up. With no sand I figured that it would end up getting flushed into the filtration system. I thought this was one of the positive aspects of running bare bottom.

I guess when you run sand maybe it just accumulates more than with a bare bottom??

I went bare bottom a year and a half ago after 10+ years of sand and will never look back but I was also surprised at how much detritus accumulates in lower flow areas. My tank is SPS dominant with lots of flow and it still accumulates in a few spots, a quick siphon once a week or so takes care of it.

The only reason i initially tried BB was because my two clowns constantly kicked up sand which drove me crazy. I will have to say I was anti-barebottom for many years because of the "unnatural" look, I painted the bottom white and have some encrusting montis growing which to me looks crisp and clean...of course that is still subjective but fellow reefers have been over and left with a different view of BB.

I always thought i did a good job of vacuuming my sand but the few times over the years where i had to move and/or upgrade tanks, the sand was nasty as could be. Maybe (probably) I didn't do a good enough job of keeping up with it even though it looked good but now my OCD forces me to keep it clear of detritus :)

You can setup it up as BB and always add sand later if you hate it.

Ryan Kouns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagging on along on this one. I'm getting ready to start my first 115 gal tall tank curious to see peoples thoughts... my plan all along is to use around a 1 inch sand bed.. for those of you that prefer sand what methods work best for keeping it clean and detritus low?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
barebottom. I rang my biocube with sand for 1.5 years, then slowly going barebottom. My maintainance take lot less time now. As my different corals have grown up, it became harder and harder to clean the sand. I had to crank up my mp10 as well, due to more and more sps addition.
Barebottom is definitely lot easier to maintain. I dont like the look though, but probably that will be fixed as and when corals start growing in the bottom

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Agree with @revhtree .... worth noting is if you have a somewhat decent sized tank the flow issues can create quite an ordeal in sand mounds and portions of the tank being bare bottom... i used to fight the portion on my old tank that was bare bottom as a result of too much flow but i finally gave up and opted to get optimal flow throughout the tank and to just put encrusting corals in the bare bottom portion to eventually take that over... also worth noting if you go this combined route of allowing sand mounds and having some bare bottom the encrusting corals will take some hits as some sand will inevetably cover portions of them killing that or inhibiting it’s growth. I found that a good option for this area is zoa this and palythoas.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 125 I do the same a few days I choose a sections to stir up. That way it’s not a tedious thing and I don’t freak the fish out to much.

that would be a good idea, still only spend 5 min a day but still get the sand stirred up.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current DT of 48"x12x20 is BB, the next DT will be a 72"x18x20 120g. The new DT will have two sections.

The sand section (maybe 1/3) will be at the far-end of the wave maker, where my Condy anemone and 4-color BTA will be stranded on an island surrounded by sand. I'll use two sizes of aqua scaping clear rods to build a wall to hold the sand. Then I can get some sand dwellers for that section.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go bare bottom,,save your self money in the beginning ,,plus you save yourself a TON of aggravation as long as your tank is up/running..
so what that you wont be able to keep a FEW specific sand dwelling creatures..

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me bare bottom loses an aspect of what the reef tank should be. I’ve always gone as close to what nature would intend. Plus I love my wrasses and sand sifters.

To me that comment sums up the debate in itself. Plus my poor Mandarin would miss it's food that the sand provides. No to me a reef tank needs its sandbed.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back