Bare bottom, or sand bed?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am turning my 20 gallon tall frag tank into a small reef tank. I hardly ever frag anything and when I do, I can't find anyone who wants them most of the time. So I figured I might as well have another reef tank that I love.

Right now it is bare bottom. I see the advantages of bare bottom but I do not like the look. I would like opinions on this. The only equipment the tank has is a HOB filter rated for a 55 gallon tank, a heater and a powerhead. I am not looking to add any other equipment except maybe changing the light that it has currently.

Also thinking of stocking. Right now there is a six line wrasse but I can easily put him in my main tank. I don't know if I want a really cool single species like a frog fish of some kind or some other predator or just do some nano fish and call it a day.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a sand bed because I find it's not the nightmare people make them out to be so long as you have critters keeping it clean for you. It provides a massive surface area for bacteria and microfauna to thrive and just looks nice. I only really think sand beds are iffy when you are creating a tank that will have extreme flow.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a sand bed, swap it out with a new one every year is what id do.

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently bare bottom, going back with sand for new build. It just looks so much better. Have plenty of snails including nassarius and a conch and perhaps a sand sifting goby, wrasses that will stir it and shake it about twice a week and you're good to go. Bare bottom to me is like looking at a car without wheels.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference i have a giant diamond goby, a sand star, a tiger cucumber, a bunch.of nassarius snails, and had coach's until my elegance coral began to kill anything that went near it.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand.... and with a small CUC to stir the bed a bit. Sand sifting stars (have two) are always great imo, Sea Cucumber as well here, amongst others.... perhaps a blenny to really keep things lively? As long as its occasionally mixed up, it is super good for the system imo.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference i have a giant diamond goby, a sand star, a tiger cucumber, a bunch.of nassarius snails, and had coach's until my elegance coral began to kill anything that went near it.

Conch's not coach lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back