Barley Straw for Algae control?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Barley straw breaks down it releases H2O2, so it's used in ponds to control algae. Out of curiosity does this happen in freshwater only, why isn't this method used in our hobby?

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My guess is because H2O2 is less stable in saltwater as compared to freshwater, so you may not see the benefit there. It could also be that the decomposing barley results in humic acid, which then results in H2O2, and if this process is less stable in a solution of saltwater we may just end up adding more organics without the oxidizing benefit you see in freshwater. Just some thoughts; I have worked with pond/lake product manufacturing companies and have some basic knowledge, but I'm not a biologist or chemist.

-Ed

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good to me. Piqued my interest when I saw balls of barley straw sold in the pond dept of the shop I go to.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably find a lot of threads about h2o2 dosing. If you decide to do it, then h2o2 at the store is cheap, easy and without any side effects from organic matter breaking down.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably find a lot of threads about h2o2 dosing. If you decide to do it, then h2o2 at the store is cheap, easy and without any side effects from organic matter breaking down.
Don't need to dose, it was just out of curiosity that I started the thread. I've dosed H2O2 in the past and seeing the barley balls had me thinking why dose when you can just throw these ball into the sump.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think that the barley straw needs sunlight to work. This is off of memory, so my apologies if I misremembered. Something to check out if anybody is thinking about this. We are probably talk display-tank type light, not chaeto low wattage lighting.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back