Basslet Died

wesnestor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Added pods to the tank and two days later had ammonia spike, not bad, maybe .5 - 1.0 PPM and right after, within 2 days, by gramma basslet started swimming weird, then died. I can find no ICH or other issues on her and cannot think that the level of ammonia was dangerous. I immediately did about a 25% water change and the ammonia was neglible afer that.

I put the pods in the tank after dark but noticed the basslett and my pygmy angel chasing them around the tank and eating them. Would that have hurt my fish?

OP
OP
W

wesnestor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It is the first time since adding livestock I have seen a spike in ammonia. I have had two small clowns, the basslet and a pygmy angel in there for several months. Have 2 turban snails and 5 hermits also. I test my water 2x a week and it has been really clean.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It is the first time since adding livestock I have seen a spike in ammonia. I have had two small clowns, the basslet and a pygmy angel in there for several months. Have 2 turban snails and 5 hermits also. I test my water 2x a week and it has been really clean.
Just to be safe, I’d dose a little beneficial bacteria every few days and avoid doing a water change for a month. Sometimes you can get your tank “too clean” right off the bat and that can inhibit the maturation of a tank.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you added the pods, did you dump the water that came with them in the tank too?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not an ideal first fish especially with a tank that will experience chemistry changes the first few weeks.
Can you disclose your tank parameter readings, age, type of water used and type of test kits you are using ?

Back