Bathyphilus fairy wrasse bloated

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I came back from a 3 week trip and by hooded fairy wrasse had a bloated stomach when I got back. She was fine before. I was thinking that it might have found some extra food in the tank (pods, etc) while I was gone, but now I don't think so. When I‘m gone, my fish only get pellet food. When I’m home they also get nori and LRS. I’ve been back home for a week, and he’s getting worse, not better. I fed 100% NLS in my feeder up until just before I left, in which I added some TDO as well. I’ve planning on getting some peas today today to feed in case of blockage. I’ve read that this could be dropsy. It seems others have fed antibiotics mixed with food and focus in case of bacterial issues, and even metro for parasites. I have not seen any stringy white poop though. He’s eating and swimming well, just seems that he’s going to go downhill soon.

I guess my question is has anyone ever had this and been able to help the fish? What is a good sources of action? I’m attaching a pic from my iPad which I hope will help. Looking at the fish behind the flame. Thanks.
F3FDE848-D51A-4022-8EB1-D7B9B0C42DE1.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating is a good thing. What you've read is all I know to deal with this. If it was a swim bladder issue, it would have difficultly swimming upright. Doesn't sound that's the case.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it will eat I'd feed nls hex shield or some epsom salt soaked pellets

OP
OP
dwest

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it will eat I'd feed nls hex shield or some epsom salt soaked pellets
I have some hex shield. Might try that after the peas. Thanks.

OP
OP
dwest

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Epsom salts and Kanaplex can work as a laxative.
Thanks. Would you add them both together with food? Something like a tablespoon of food mixed with 1 scoop of focus, one scoop Kanaplex, and one scoop of epsom salt?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tailspot blenny gets that way if I go too long without feeding nori/seaweed. After I feed nori, a few days later it's fine.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Would you add them both together with food? Something like a tablespoon of food mixed with 1 scoop of focus, one scoop Kanaplex, and one scoop of epsom salt?
The epsom salt is best dosed directly into the tank 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon of water; but yes, the kanaplex would be best directly to the gut with Food + Focus + Kanaplex. The added plus to the kanaplex is that the fish may have an internal bacterial infection and it would treat it quite nicely.
Best of luck with your fish.

OP
OP
dwest

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tailspot blenny gets that way if I go too long without feeding nori/seaweed. After I feed nori, a few days later it's fine.
This is exactly what I was hoping for. Unfortunately I’ve been feeding it nori for a week since I’ve been back and no improvement. Still hoping:)

OP
OP
dwest

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The epsom salt is best dosed directly into the tank 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon of water; but yes, the kanaplex would be best directly to the gut with Food + Focus + Kanaplex. The added plus to the kanaplex is that the fish may have an internal bacterial infection and it would treat it quite nicely.
OK I see. Thanks.

OP
OP
dwest

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse started looking better about a week ago and looks normal now. I’ve been feeding more nori, some peas, and kanaplex. Although I have to admit, I only did kanaple (with food and focus) one time as I was worried about antibiotics in my DT. Just wanted to thank @Big G for your help.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back