BBS and Filter Current

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I’m having some difficulty with feeding BBS and my filter. So, I’ve been dosing some BBS with the filter off but if I turn the filter on, it throws them all over the tank. Should I just keep the filter off past an hour? The clownfish barely looks at them and it’s fresh hatch. I’m concerned with how powerful the filter is if I put copepods in there. Will it do that too to the copepods? I feel like maybe I should put a sponge at the spout and slow it down but will that affect the tank’s oxygen too much? I’m looking to seed my tank with copepods soon so I’m not sure how it’ll affect them like the BBS?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to follow, you start with BBS and end with copepods.

What are you "dosing" BBS for? Normally I turn off my filters for an hour for feeding then turn them back on, sucks to be BBS either get eaten or go through the filters.

Copepods are not really out in the open water, a very few will get chomped by filters, buts its insignificant, they mainly live in the rocks and sand.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to follow, you start with BBS and end with copepods.

What are you "dosing" BBS for? Normally I turn off my filters for an hour for feeding then turn them back on, sucks to be BBS either get eaten or go through the filters.

Copepods are not really out in the open water, a very few will get chomped by filters, buts its insignificant, they mainly live in the rocks and sand.
I seriously should have proof read this. I'm live feeding the BBS and have been keeping the filters off for up to an hour sometimes trying to get the fish interested in live food. But I end up turning it back on to keep the bacteria flowing. I'm aiming to seed copepods for a dragonet and was concerned about the welfare of the BBS and copepods with the filter.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. BBS swim in the water so will get sucked into the filters, but they can’t survive in a reef tank anyway. Copepods stick to surfaces.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back