BC Rainbows In Spain: Defying All Odds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BottomCoastReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC Rainbows In Spain: Defying All Odds

First let me state that I enjoy reading Adam’s write ups on Reef2Reef which partly inspired this write up/ review/ telling of one frag’s epic journey to blooming. The other motivation behind this write up is the actual journey that my little frag of Rainbows in Spain (Spainbow) has treaded. Also seeing another thread about the Rainbows in Spain made me want to tell my experience with this little guy. This story begins in a 2014 winter group-buy down here in Texas. I got the Spainbow frag along with a handful of other premium SPS and was absolutely excited to grow the frags out into beautiful colonies but my tank had other plans. I was kinda in between tanks at the time (still am) using a 20gallon long frag tank equipped with a 10gal sump while my 75build was in progress. As you may guess I might have set myself up for an uphill battle keeping things stable with such low water volume. So dumping in SPS who drain water parameters and require stability might not have been the best idea. I just couldn’t refuse the group buy though and my hard headedness came out on top. As you might imagine, the SPS I put in started dropping like flys, of course, but I never gave up on a frag until all the tissue was gone. RTN took a cold grip on each frag 1 by 1 as I watched on hopelessly. When it came around to the Spainbow frag I had lost hope and counted it as another loss but I didn’t want to toss it until all the tissue had RTN’ed. To my amazement the necrosis slowed down as it got to the last quarter at top of the last branch, but was still necrossing. I watched the tissue die on the Spainbow almost in an endless slow destruction like watching Lava from a volcano inch its way across the land. As the necrosis reached the absolute last bit of the frag, the coral decided it would not hang its white flag. I watched on for weeks as the tissue necrosis had reached the absolute LAST polyp at the tip of the frag and just halted. Then I waited waking up each morning expecting for that last polyp to be gone so that I could throw out the dead frag. As the days passed, that SINGLE polyp was still standing unwilling to be slayed by the cold grip of death. Then I decided it was time, time for this polyp’s second chance at survival. In an effort to give it its best shot I decided to frag the polyp off the dead skeleton and glue it onto a fresh slate. Though it had survived the RTN I felt it was still not out of the woods. I questioned if the delicate polyp would survive the fragging and whether I could pull it off without damaging it or stressing it out by touching it with my fingers and such. After all it was just a SINGLE polyp and the slightest miss calculation with the bone cutters or haphazard smear of super glue would have just ruined the whole endeavor. I pulled it off without a hitch though and now it was just the waiting game. I watched on wondering if it had handled being out of the water well while fragging and soon it showed signs of improvement. It gained great polyp extension (singular not plural) as the polyp stretched out its legs and got confortable. Weeks maybe months later it started to encrust and what was once a single polyp now had friends to keep it company. As it grew it would come to realize that RTN was not the only battle it would face in my tank.

I had trouble keeping the water parameters stable as they swung like a mechanical bull knocking out various SPS from the fight, but this booger still stood. Being that the tank is so small I had issues keeping the ALK stable and within range, which is the second battle this frag took head on. At times I would dose too much and have my AlK sit at over 10dkh and other times have it dip to the low 6’s like really low 6.2dkh. Swings of about 2dkh were a norm in this tank that definitely upset the rest of my corals constantly, but to my amazement this frag kept trucking along with new encrustment while never even flinching and losing polyp extension. I believe that having the original frag RTN down to one polyp than bouncing back allowed only the strongest genes to be passed on as the frag grew. After all survival of the fittest am I right? I have since witnessed this Spainbow be the most bullet proof frag in my system not showing signs of stress in extreme low or high DKH’s while other corals showed clear stress. Not only has the Spainbow shown tolerance to DKH instability, but also it has also shown tolerance to high nitrates. At one point I had not kept up with maintenance allowing my nitrates to rise high enough to the point where even my Zoas weren’t having it, but as you may have guessed it, the Spainbow stood valiantly. It seems no matter what I throw at the frag it stood while other corals fell. Just absolutely fascinates me, but that pretty much sums up my write up of an extraordinary journey a single polyp has faced. Hopefully it has been a good read and a testimony to the resilience that life can demonstrate against all odds when the cards are stacked against them.

-Tizoc

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome story and congratulations on saving this beautiful coral. I'm sure Adam will be proud of it. Gives hope to others to not give up on a struggling coral. Thanks for sharing this n nice pics.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It proofs that you can grow from a single polyp.
Adam will see the light for budget buyers and will have single polyps Spainbows for $1.99 + shipping ;)

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice save. I lost most of my corals when I moved a few months back and the spainbow was one of the few sps that made it. I've since replenished my tank with some sticks, then last week I had a heater malfunction and by the time I realized it the tank was 60 degrees. I had acros dropping like flies and again the spainbow is one of the survivors. This proves two things for me, 1, I have horrible luck with my reef and 2, the spainbow must be near bullet proof. It even still has good color.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had issues with some corals during a tank swap. I placed some corals that were white and some that only had a tip still visible on it only to see them recover and thrive.
It never stops amazing me the tenacity of sea life to survive.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
AH awesome story man. yeah this ones been through a couple crap storms on my end as well. Always good to hear stories like this. Another testament to the resilience of captive raised SPS!!!

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your story! I enjoyed reading it. It's encouraging to read stories such as yours.

OP
OP
B

BottomCoastReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback yall, just wanted to share how tough this acro is...
Heck it even outlasted alot of zoas and palys in my tank when parameters were all over the place!!!

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A beautiful story and with just one tiny nub this little fellow had shown that it can survive, most reefers would definitely give up and throw this micro nub out. Kudos to you for sticking it out for so long.
Will follow for sure to see how this little guy turn out.

OP
OP
B

BottomCoastReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offfff, I got busy with life since I posted this story. Got my Associates degree and nearly finishing my Bachelor degree since then. How the years pass... Sorry for not updating yall in a while. Unfortunately I lost everything not long after posting this. Lightning storm came in and fried my return pump. Tank was down for a day while I replaced my Mag pump. I went with a Sicce pump which i feel was defective and ultimately doomed my tank. Specs were supposed to be identical to the mag but return flow rate was substantially less . Returned it to manufacture but they said it was perfectly fine. Tank spiraled from there, but it's on a rebound now. Looking to get my hands on some more Spainbow soon and start my journey again! :)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Offfff, I got busy with life since I posted this story. Got my Associates degree and nearly finishing my Bachelor degree since then. How the years pass... Sorry for not updating yall in a while. Unfortunately I lost everything not long after posting this. Lightning storm came in and fried my return pump. Tank was down for a day while I replaced my Mag pump. I went with a Sicce pump which i feel was defective and ultimately doomed my tank. Specs were supposed to be identical to the mag but return flow rate was substantially less . Returned it to manufacture but they said it was perfectly fine. Tank spiraled from there, but it's on a rebound now. Looking to get my hands on some more Spainbow soon and start my journey again! :)

Really sorry to hear it. that's a tough way to loose a system.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back