Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to make this thread a sticky?!!
I just spilled honey on my keybord,does that count?

Awesome thread, Paul.
I also posted this on Reef Central and people liked it, but it mysteriously disappeared. I guess they like rumors.

I have to say the one that irks me THE most is people recommending parameters like alk at 11-12 and mg at 1500 because their tanks do sooooo much better that nsw parameters.
I am not big on testing parameters as I let the corals inform me how they feel. That is my opinion of course.

Bio load is one that annoys me! Like omg, you have 3 fish in your 120 gallon tank, the forums say you should only have 2 and a half fish in that much water.
If I add a flounder to my tank, do I also have to take into consideration it's width?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! hmmmmmmm................... I see that Paul is still here stirring up the pot by spreading 'Common Sense' and a fair amount of 'Healthy Skepticism'

Keep it up Brother !

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be careful how you word things because some people only read what they want to see. I once mentioned that I sometimes use Clorox to treat NSW and have used Clorox to purify water in an old system that was full of ick, velvet, chartruse, Godzilla Larvae etc. Then "before" I put the fish in I eliminate the Clorox with chlorine remover and wait a few days until the scent leaves and I am good to go. Someone wrote to me saying I killed all his fish because he followed my instructions and added a cup of "Clorox" to his tank "full of fish". His fish died. I am sure they died fast but had a nice fresh scent. I mean, really! is it me? Would you add Clorox to a tank full of fish? Even if my name was Jacques Cousteau and I swore on a stack of bibles that it was safe, would you do that? I mean, if you are that stupid, you should not have fish. As a matter of fact, you should not drive or be allowed to reproduce. I also said another method of killing parasites in a tank with no fish, would be to put in a few heaters and raise the temperature to 102 degrees. He probably made chowder. Like Duh!

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask...

How is it spreading common sense by suggesting that keeping an P. hepatus in a 40 gallon for years is a good thing?
I just don't see how that is a good thing to encourage.

I saw the original thread that (( IMO )) prompted this one here and over there (( sure a few other places )), and I am a bit disappointed.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it spreading common sense by suggesting that keeping an P. hepatus in a 40 gallon for years is a good thing?

I did not suggest you should do that, I just said it was possible as I have done it when this hobby started and that was the tank I had. I have never had a hippo tang die because the tank was small. I did say:

I would rather keep a tang in a larger tank, preferably the ocean but we are basically fish keepers and we keep our fish in whatever we have at hand although we may know that a larger tank is better.

If someone asked me what size tank to keep a Hippo tang in I would say it depends on the size of the fish and if you are planning to give it away or put it in a larger tank. It's your fish and your tank and not up to me to tell you anything, but I can suggest from my personal experience of keeping dozens of hippo tangs. They seem to live forever. I personally feel a hippo tang will do fine in a 100 gallon tank as my last one was about 12 years old when I gave it away and I have a 100 gallon tank that almost always in it's 37 year history had a hippo tang in it. But being I said it, it is a rumor and you should take advice from someone who has kept the fish you are asking about for many years. I started keeping hippo tangs in about 1975 or so. I probably have old pictures of them but they were on film and I would have to look for them. But if you hear you "can't" keep a tang in a certain size, I would ask, why not? and did you try it? If so, what happened and can you prove it. :tea:

I see I had one here in this old picture, but the looks like he is doing a back flip or something

Last edited:

eric3316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I thought the only facts in this hobby come from Live Aquria. If they say no, then the answer is no.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I thought the only facts in this hobby come from Live Aquria. If they say no, then the answer is no.

Except now it's owned by PETCO! So technically, the "facts" are now coming from them. :bigsmile:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you hear you "can't" keep a tang in a certain size, I would ask, why not?

This is a great mentality to live by. If someone tells you it's impossible, ask them to prove it!
We shouldn't have to prove things are possible, we should be proving them not impossible. By which I mean we should be trying the "impossible" and proving that term/phrase wrong. It's a childlike curiosity and belief in the unexpected that people have lost. I believe this is why people will just recycle old advice that is either outdated, or they haven't had enough experience in that field to give the advice out.
I'll admit, I've been guilty of doing that before, but I always try to let people know if I haven't had enough experience given that particular subject to give a definitive answer and let them know it's just my opinion.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual right on Paul.
I think it is important to accept any post as being the opinion of the poster.
Some people seem to have problems with that and can only see one method to keep our tanks.
So I got banned from several sites.
I guess that meant they didn't agree with me.
Meanwhile my tanks and most especially yours just keep on chugging along.
my .02

Phishy McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So LED's wont grow tangs in a 90 gallon tank with alk at 7.8? Even if I run a UV sterilizer? Can I grow garlic in my deep sand bed when my lights are only on 6 hours a day?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumour has it you guy's spell rumor wrong lol

Haha nice pick up! Are you Aussie chopsie?
We add the letter U to the spelling of several words that Americans don't.
I think "rumor" is the proper american spelling. Like "color" as opposed to "colour".
I love threads were everyone has something fun to say! It's such a change from "what zoa is this?" Lol.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I disagree with both Tyler and Mick as rumour been told that you are both from Earth..... though believe I am along with everyone else on the Forum as well but have no proof.... so this to could only be rumour. We may have to get DNA testing on the other hand to verify that Paul is human though.... because is it not always in films that the 'Alien' swims around in New York's murky waters.... just sayin'

Cheers, Todd

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread.

I had a similar thought as I read comments to a FB R2R post on trickle filters today. It makes me wonder what kind of outright falsehoods, rumors and misunderstandings I may be employing in my own reef tank adventure. Still, what business does a terrestrial plant bulb have in keeping reef fishes?

LOL

macscale

Ok.. Ok.. I'm Obssesed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread should be printed into a new book called "The Reef Bible" and sent to every single reefer across the world!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, turns out some rumours are true. I am after all one those earthling creatures you speak of. *shifty eyes*
I don't know why this thread is entertaining me so much! It started off on a serious note, but now it's sorta....well.....not so serious. I love it!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am deeply disappointed. So Paul, all the posts you made about supermodels is just rumor. And to think I was considering tossing out my sump and converting to UGF, and shaving my head, because I thought this was a chick magnet.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 41 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back