Beginner Stocking Questions

zbrusko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for 20+ years, and just this week decided to start my first reef project. I purchased an Innovative Marine SR Pro 60, so I am dealing with about 40 gallons in the display area. My freshwater experience has helped me develop patience, so I am fine to go slow. In fact, in this case, I very much prefer it. My question is about the stocking order. I do hope to add (undecided upon) corals as well as these fish and inverts:

2 clownfish
1 banggai cardinalfish
1 dartfish (firefish or purple firefish)
1 midas blenny
1 watchman goby w/ pistol shrimp
1 aptasia-eating filefish
1 falco hawkfish
1 6-line wrasse
1 chalk bass
1 bubble-tip anemone
1 long-spined urchin
10 trochus snails
2 scarlet reef hermit crabs

Are there any general thoughts about these fish for a beginner? Is there an order to add these in that may be better or worse? When might I be ready for the snails and hermit crabs? When might I be ready for the urchin and anemone? Where does adding the corals fit into the order? I am fine adding one or two critters at a time weeks apart if need be. I just don't know what should go first, last, etc, or what needs more established bacteria, algaes, etc. vs can go in right after the nitrogen cycle completes. Can I do a fish-in cycle (sorry if I am using freshwater terms here!) with any of these fish? Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Zach

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for 20+ years, and just this week decided to start my first reef project. I purchased an Innovative Marine SR Pro 60, so I am dealing with about 40 gallons in the display area. My freshwater experience has helped me develop patience, so I am fine to go slow. In fact, in this case, I very much prefer it. My question is about the stocking order. I do hope to add (undecided upon) corals as well as these fish and inverts:

2 clownfish
1 banggai cardinalfish
1 midas blenny
1 falco hawkfish
1 6-line wrasse
1 chalk bass
1 bubble-tip anemone
1 long-spined urchin
10 trochus snails

Are there any general thoughts about these fish for a beginner? Is there an order to add these in that may be better or worse? When might I be ready for the snails and hermit crabs? When might I be ready for the urchin and anemone? Where does adding the corals fit into the order? I am fine adding one or two critters at a time weeks apart if need be. I just don't know what should go first, last, etc, or what needs more established bacteria, algaes, etc. vs can go in right after the nitrogen cycle completes. Can I do a fish-in cycle (sorry if I am using freshwater terms here!) with any of these fish? Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Zach

Hey Zach! Welcome to the saltwater side of things! Let’s address the fish first.

I would definitely be careful about 10 fish in the 40 gallon. It can be done, but some of these guys take up a good bit of bioload. Just test as you go for the nitrogen cycle and phosphate, and if you struggle to handle the nutrients, you’ve probably hit your limit. The only two fish in there that I would be cautious about would be the six-line wrasse and the filefish. Six-lines have a bad reputation for being bullies; I’ve owned one and it was a noble citizen, but others have had not so great luck. If you add one, it needs to be the last fish you add. The filefish is reef safe with caution. If you feed it a lot, it may or may not find a taste for corals and shrimp. They also don’t like much flow.

For the inverts, that’s a great initial set of snails, and I would even recommend more hermits; these are all essential parts of your cleanup crew! You can add them in when you start to see the initial signs of algae and diatoms, which will come shortly after the nitrate spike at the end of the cycle.

As for cycling, you can do a fish-in cycle, which I have done, but nowadays there are many fishless cycle options that will have your tank cycled even faster with no harm to fish. Essentially, you dose nitrifying bacteria along with a form of ammonia.

The urchin can be added probably a few months in, just make sure with the long spine that there is plenty of clearance between the rocks and walls for him to get through. I would wait for a good six months or so for the anemone (they need stability). I have never owned one personally, so maybe someone else could chime in.

For corals, just ensure you have the right lighting and flow for different types. I would recommend starting with some softies or SPS that don’t require as much flow or light.

Hope this all helps!

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 10 fish in a 40 is pretty heavy. About 6-8 is probably the max of what people would typically have. Six lines have a nad reputation. A yellow coris wrasse is a friendlier pest eater if that's what you are looking for. Also, aptasia eating filefish are sometimes coral eating filefish.

Coral can go into a tank immediately if the tank has a lot of old rock covered in good biology. Dry rock tanks take longer to be good to coral. Green star polyps or leathers are good first corals, prob 2-3 months in plus if dry rock. Good luck! Saltwater is a forever learning experience. I would highly recommend the BRS 5 minute guide on Youtube if you havent checked it out.

Pachiman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

2 clownfish
1 banggai cardinalfish
1 midas blenny
1 falco hawkfish
1 6-line wrasse
1 chalk bass
1 bubble-tip anemone
1 long-spined urchin
10 trochus snails

Thanks,
Zach
In a tank that small try to avoid anemones. They will stay in one spot for a really long time but they will eventually, move.

A piece of algae touched it and the anemone didn't like it? It will move, and it will move at 2am when you cant see it and it will decimate all corals in his path.

Go for the tuxedo urchin because the long-spinned will knock your corals from the LR, and if you don't glue your rock properly it, the rock will fall.

If you want to have hermits + snails, but a lot of snails to eat and boil them in RODI water, remove the snail meat and throw empty shells in the substrate otherwise they will eventually start killing snails to get their shells.

Go for 6 trochus + 4 nassarius. The nassarius snails move around the substrate and keep it clean and it a lot of leftover food. The best clean up crew addition for a tank.

deepseabc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowfish are pretty hardy, I'd just caution you against getting the standard orange ocellaris. In a tank that size you can likely keep 1x pair of clowns. Lots of beginners tend to grab a cheap pair of plain orange ocellaris then either regret it because they want a designer clown or.try.to add a designer clown that cost more than both their standards and the standards kill it. You get 1x pair of clowns...choose.wisely! Lol

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My belief is that the sequence and timing of livestock additions will depend on whether you are using dry rock or live rock and what sort of additional filtration you employ eg. a protein skimmer. If you can provide some information on this the responses will likely be more trustworthy.

OP
OP
zbrusko

zbrusko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My belief is that the sequence and timing of livestock additions will depend on whether you are using dry rock or live rock and what sort of additional filtration you employ eg. a protein skimmer. If you can provide some information on this the responses will likely be more trustworthy.
I am planning to add a protein skimmer later, before I start adding corals. Likely late summer. I will also probably start with a mix of live and dry rock to save a few dollars. I will be at my LFS this week and will see what they have and the pricing. I also plan for live sand about 1-1.5 inches.

OP
OP
zbrusko

zbrusko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowfish are pretty hardy, I'd just caution you against getting the standard orange ocellaris. In a tank that size you can likely keep 1x pair of clowns. Lots of beginners tend to grab a cheap pair of plain orange ocellaris then either regret it because they want a designer clown or.try.to add a designer clown that cost more than both their standards and the standards kill it. You get 1x pair of clowns...choose.wisely! Lol
This is good to know. I do plan on just one pair, and that will depend on my LFS stock so I can avoid a mail order if possible. There are several I like, but my girlfriend likes the orange ocellaris, so that may be where I end up.

OP
OP
zbrusko

zbrusko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that small try to avoid anemones. They will stay in one spot for a really long time but they will eventually, move.

A piece of algae touched it and the anemone didn't like it? It will move, and it will move at 2am when you cant see it and it will decimate all corals in his path.

Go for the tuxedo urchin because the long-spinned will knock your corals from the LR, and if you don't glue your rock properly it, the rock will fall.

If you want to have hermits + snails, but a lot of snails to eat and boil them in RODI water, remove the snail meat and throw empty shells in the substrate otherwise they will eventually start killing snails to get their shells.

Go for 6 trochus + 4 nassarius. The nassarius snails move around the substrate and keep it clean and it a lot of leftover food. The best clean up crew addition for a tank.
Thanks for the advice. I don't need an anemone, though I thought it would be a good pairing for the clowns - though I know not necessary. I will put that at the bottom of my list, and maybe reconsider once I have a lot more experience. Same for the urchin - I saw the banggai cardinalfish like to hide in them. I don't need it, of course. I will consider the tuxedo urchin later as well.

Regarding the hermit crabs and snails. Your advice makes sense. Would replacing the hermit crabs with shrimp be a easier option for clean-up crew? What might you recommend there?

OP
OP
zbrusko

zbrusko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Zach! Welcome to the saltwater side of things! Let’s address the fish first.

I would definitely be careful about 10 fish in the 40 gallon. It can be done, but some of these guys take up a good bit of bioload. Just test as you go for the nitrogen cycle and phosphate, and if you struggle to handle the nutrients, you’ve probably hit your limit. The only two fish in there that I would be cautious about would be the six-line wrasse and the filefish. Six-lines have a bad reputation for being bullies; I’ve owned one and it was a noble citizen, but others have had not so great luck. If you add one, it needs to be the last fish you add. The filefish is reef safe with caution. If you feed it a lot, it may or may not find a taste for corals and shrimp. They also don’t like much flow.

For the inverts, that’s a great initial set of snails, and I would even recommend more hermits; these are all essential parts of your cleanup crew! You can add them in when you start to see the initial signs of algae and diatoms, which will come shortly after the nitrate spike at the end of the cycle.

As for cycling, you can do a fish-in cycle, which I have done, but nowadays there are many fishless cycle options that will have your tank cycled even faster with no harm to fish. Essentially, you dose nitrifying bacteria along with a form of ammonia.

The urchin can be added probably a few months in, just make sure with the long spine that there is plenty of clearance between the rocks and walls for him to get through. I would wait for a good six months or so for the anemone (they need stability). I have never owned one personally, so maybe someone else could chime in.

For corals, just ensure you have the right lighting and flow for different types. I would recommend starting with some softies or SPS that don’t require as much flow or light.

Hope this all helps!
This is super helpful, thanks!

Based on this and other replies, I have made some adjustments:

I think this is an appropriate stocking list and stocking order, with --- separating groups added at once. Please let me know if you see any issues! Many thanks!

1 dartfish
1 yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair
1 banggai cardinalfish
-----
1 midas blenny
1 falco hawkfish
----
6 trochus snails
4 nassarius snails
----
corals
----
1 pair of clownfish
shrimp?
----
1 6-line wrasse
-----
1 tuxedo urchin

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a perfect stocking list. FWIW, I’ve had 6 lines for most of my over 17 years in reefing and they have been model citizens. As a caution you could add it last.

Back