Beginner w/FOWLR Setup and High Nitrates

MattyA12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize in advance because I know this question has been asked at least 1,000 times on these forums. I have a 20 gallon Eclipse tank running a saltwater setup that's three months old at this point. Tank currently has 20 lbs of live sand and about 30 lbs of live rock (per recommendations I read online). Used raw shrimp to cycle ammonia zero nitrites zero and have been that way for weeks. Nitrates however, are a different story as I've never been able to get them below about 50ppm (using API test kit). About a month ago went to local aquarium store spoke to the owner who was convinced it was just part of the cycling process and suggested I add a couple of fish. Added one clown and one damsel (they've been thriving with no issues). Been a month with the addition of the fish....still ammonia zero nitrites zero but nitrates still won't drop below 50. Have done multi 25% water changes and am using RODI water to replace. Recently picked up some Seachem Prime thinking adding the right bacteria may help, however I don't think it does what I originally thought it would as there hasn't been any decline in Nitrates.

Thoughts on next steps? I know I'm probably not using the best setup (Eclipse 2) at 20 gallons, but at the time it was the option that was available to me and I didn't want to invest a ton in a hobby I could easily fail at. I know starting this ecosystem is a slow process....I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Matt

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a water change and the nitrates don't drop by about the percentage of the water you changed I would suspect an error in the testing. Also have you checked the source water?

OP
OP
M

MattyA12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not checked the source water...I just assumed RODI I should be good, but I will check in the morning tomorrow and see where it's at.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with rodi it should show 0 but that would also help validate your tests. to me it sounds like maybe your nitrite test is off. If you have a couple ppm nitiate it would make most nitrate tests read much higher than they should.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a regular water change schedule and don't worry so much. As long as ammonia and nitrite are 0, and your fish seem happy, you are doing fine!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and welcome to reef2reef!
giphy.gif

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 85 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back