Best “Basic” monitor?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently set up a Fluval Evo and am looking for a basic monitor. I’m really only interested in monitoring Temp, PH and Salinity. Anything extra is a “bonus.”

So far I’ve looked at the Hannah Marine Monitor and Kactoily 6 in 1.

The Hannah seems to get meh reviews and the Kactoily seems to be decent though testing and use is sparse.

Are there any monitors out there that I’m missing? I looked at the Apex Jr but it doesn’t appear to do salinity.

Does Hydros have something in a similar price range as the Apex Jr that does what I need? I’ve never used Hydros.

Not really into the DIY aspect of ReefPi

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna Marine Monitor running in one of my tanks and I have no issues with it; nothing bot positive so far being a couple of months in.. And on top of that, it's on offer in the UK currently! Unsure if it's the same in the US.

How about looking at the Reef Factory stuff? Their temp, PH and Salinity monitors sell separately but come with a great app that ties it all together!

The Apex Junior can be upgraded to do salinity down the line with a PM2 module and a salinity probe. Not cheap though!

Curious as to why you wish to monitor salinity? As long as your ATO is running, salinity will remain steady. I don't monitor mine- I have yet to find a salinity probe that works.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Kactoily and I don't think anything else out there can beat in terms of price and relative reliability. The temperature is spot on (inline with Helios and RedSea in tank thermometers as well as when check it against my Hanna handheld). Ph also spot on with Salifert when I performed by weekly parameter check. For Ph the unit runs off a 3-point calibration system (you test against reagents for three different Ph levels). Salinity came in consistently low so I just used it to monitor for swings. Jury is still out on the ORP probe since I don't have another probe to check it against.

I also have Hydros but mostly just use it to run schedules for my equipment (ie, turn pumps off when auto feeder comes on, turn on ozone in middle of night, etc.). I may eventually get some of the Hydros probes but my tank is still relatively new so don't need any super complicated controls yet.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May just give one a try! Very reasonably priced here in the UK coming in at just £109.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna Marine Monitor running in one of my tanks and I have no issues with it; nothing bot positive so far being a couple of months in.. And on top of that, it's on offer in the UK currently! Unsure if it's the same in the US.

How about looking at the Reef Factory stuff? Their temp, PH and Salinity monitors sell separately but come with a great app that ties it all together!

The Apex Junior can be upgraded to do salinity down the line with a PM2 module and a salinity probe. Not cheap though!

Curious as to why you wish to monitor salinity? As long as your ATO is running, salinity will remain steady. I don't monitor mine- I have yet to find a salinity probe that works.
My main reason for wanting to monitor salinity is I am terrible at testing (really anything). And the last time I tested salinity on my coral quarantine, it was running at 1.019 with the ATO. Granted it had been about a year since I last tested, so I was just figuring if I had a general idea, then I would be at least semi-conscious to changes where I need to re-balance things out.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only fear with the Kactoily is the massive box. And minimum water level. I’m hoping it will fit in the second chamber of the evo and still be able to use the lid.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back