Best absolute heater to buy?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the marine x60.2 it's 36 gallons display, and 20 gallon sump. my basement have no heater. I run my freshwater with 2 heaters. What's a good heater/controller to buy so i can buy it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Titanium and best brands are Finnex and via aqua

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your budget? A lot of people run an Inkbird with two titanium heaters for redundancy, so an Inkbird-306A WiFi controller with a pair of BRS 100-watt titanium heaters would do the trick.
I dont have a budget. it's whatever the best. so 2 brs 100 watt? and the controller by inkbird?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a budget. it's whatever the best. so 2 brs 100 watt? and the controller by inkbird?
One of the best is supposedly the Innovative Marine Helio (200-watts total), but you're looking at more of an investment over the BRS version.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best is supposedly the Innovative Marine Helios (200-watts total), but you're looking at more of an investment over the BRS version.
So you think i should go for the innovative marine? the thing is i wanna go 1 heater if possible instead of 2. Would that work ? my sump is small, and im trying to maximize the space?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use finnex i have had them for over 3 years now . i run 2 200w on my 125g total water vol setup

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think i should go for the innovative marine? the thing is i wanna go 1 heater if possible instead of 2. Would that work ? my sump is small, and im trying to maximize the space?
Yes, you can certainly go with one 200-watt heater instead of two smaller 100-watt heaters. I have the Inkbird and BRS titanium heaters and they've been rock solid so far. I'll be trying out a Helio system in the near future so I can't offer any personal opinions right now other than it looks to be a very nice setup and all indications are it will have some really nice advanced safety features and possibly more even heating.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can certainly go with one 200-watt heater instead of two smaller 100-watt heaters. I have the Inkbird and BRS titanium heaters and they've been rock solid so far. I'll be trying out a Helio system in the near future so I can't offer any personal opinions right now other than it looks to be a very nice setup and all indications are it will have some really nice advanced safety features and possibly more even heating.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/helio-ptc-smart-heating-element-innovative-marine.html is that the helio?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats with the plug? They need a special controller? U cant use an inkbird for them?
Correct. The Helio system has a proprietary controller, temperature probe and heaters (but you can replace the temperature probe and heaters with any IM version).

100w-helio-heater-1200x1200.jpeg

Other systems like the Inkbird, Hygger (etc.) use standard 2-prong heaters.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. The Helio system has a proprietary controller, temperature probe and heaters (but you can replace the temperature probe and heaters with any IM version).

100w-helio-heater-1200x1200.jpeg

Other systems like the Inkbird, Hygger (etc.) use standard 2-prong heaters.
Is their controller good?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is their controller good?
As I said, I haven't set my Helio up yet. I think it's going to be a superior upgrade over the Inkbird/Schego heater combination, but I need to run it for a while to get some data on how even the heating is.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be purchasing an IM Helios heater here soon. I have a similarly sized system as you (OP). 40 Breeder with a 20 long sump. I'll be going with the single 200 watt heater.

The big thing to note is that the IM Helios heaters come with a 5 year warranty standard. No one else does that. From a business standpoint, the only reason to offer a 5 year warranty period (included with the original purchase) is because you know the product lasts longer than 5 years.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be purchasing an IM Helios heater here soon. I have a similarly sized system as you (OP). 40 Breeder with a 20 long sump. I'll be going with the single 200 watt heater.

The big thing to note is that the IM Helios heaters come with a 5 year warranty standard. No one else does that. From a business standpoint, the only reason to offer a 5 year warranty period (included with the original purchase) is because you know the product lasts longer than 5 years.
Or you price it such that you've accounted for failures.

Seriously though, the Helios uses PTC heaters, which in theory have some nice safety built in. They are fairly new so long term reliability isn't known.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the 2 x 500W Helio PTC heater last fall though I was only using one of the heating elements. I thought I'd use two if I ever get a bigger tank (seems less and less likely these days).

It would sometimes work fine or throw periodic low flow errors so I silenced the alarm as the problem would go away in a few minutes. You can see where this is going. A couple weeks ago I notice not all the fish are eating. A few days later, none of the fish are eating and I know something's wrong. Then I notice the controller has thrown an error and the temperature is 66.5 F! The heater had thrown a new error ("probe out of water"--it was fine) that didn't resolve on its own.

I throw ~1500 W of 4 spare heaters in the tank (125 gal) and bring it back to temperature within a few hours. The greedy fish then ate most of the food that I fed them that morning, saving me the trouble of picking it all up.

I checked my thermometer/data logger and the heat was off from Thurs evening until Sunday morning. Everyone survived but I finally had enough and switched back to the old Fluval E (which, BTW, also has a 5-year warranty).

Additionally, the heating element looks like it may have a little corrosion.

1649550959105.png

I don't think the temperature readings are accurate once I started reheating the tank because the probe was flopping loosely in the heater chamber. But they're accurate when the heater was off showing the decline in temperature over 3 days.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of two (or multiple) heaters is so that if one fails in the "on" position that your tank doesn't get too hot as the other one still switches off at the temperature you want

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back