best, affordable, biomedia for sump?

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use SeaChem matrix (partially because it came with some of my HOB filters), but I am concerned that a bag of media sitting on the bottom of the sump isn't the best solution. . .

I was thinking about Marine Pure bio bricks/plates. . . but $60 seems a bit much. . . what do yall think?
Imo stick with matrix.
I don’t want the ceramic versions leaching aluminum into my tank. I also don’t want them disintegrating and spreading that tan-colored dust all over my sandbed and on my rocks.

It’s not like matrix is any worse than the other medias. To me, it’s much much better.
Just their advertised numbers, but:
Marinepure: 510 m2/L
Matrix: 700 m2/L
Pond Matrix: 1600 m2/L (just larger size)
Brightwell blocks: 1900 m2/L

Matrix is definitely extremely porous. They fall very slowly when you add them to water, and some of them float. (Just like some ceramic versions.) They are also natural, unlike the ceramic versions made in a factory. Not found-in-a-reef natural, but still…

I don’t know why anyone would pick a ceramic version…

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the benefit of matrix, to justify the expenditure

what param changes if it's not installed-what bad outcome happens if matrix isn't used in the reef tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
asking because: we want to make sure we're not part of the sales machine

we want to be part of the science machine

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what param changes if it's not installed-what bad outcome happens if matrix isn't used in the reef tank
asking because: we want to make sure we're not part of the sales machine

we want to be part of the science machine
Are you actually claiming surface area and rock porosity don’t matter even in the slightest?

Didn’t think i’d see a post like this in 2022, but i guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The benefit to is is being able to move an established sack of it into a new tank. Matrix is a nice alternative if there is no rock or sand in a new system. Once the coral mass fills the tank I doubt Matrix is of much use anymore.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good discussion. While I agree on the available surface area in your rocks, substrate and other porous things in your tank to house bacteria, what if you run a minimum rock scape?

I'm one of those folks that did the whole NSA with goals of SPS grow out filling space. In a 180 with 25+ fish, I need as much affordable housing as possible for my friendly bacteria. I'm 30 no3 / 0.05 po4. While the 30 isn't too concerning for most people, I prefer it keep it about 20. My sump is full of mature rocks that came from my old tank with bags of marinepure balls filling in space where I can without restricting too much flow through the sump. GFO takes care of the Po4, but I still can't get my no3 down anymore even after 4 weeks of carbon dosing. (Sound have kicked in after 2 weeks of daily dosing biofuel so maybe I'm not carbon limited). Worth noting that struggled with getting nutrients for awhile and dosed No3 and po4 for over a year after my tank upgraded. Finally got numbers up and now tweaking to get them back to my desired range.

I'm buying a brick now and will experiment. Can't say it's a controlled experiment because maybe 5 weeks is the turn around point for carbon dosing in my tank, but I'll roll the dice. An alternative is the no-name stuff on Amazon. I'm not against a bargain, but it's just one of those things that's not worth risking without knowing what it really is. One may get lucky and it's the same unbranded stuff from a major manufacture. Or unlucky and it's poorly made with questionable material and causes issues in your beloved tank to save a buck.

Will report back my (anecdotal) results. =)
Any updates on your find after adding a brick??? Trying to find people with results rather than papers with results to get a more genuine and honest response to see if I should switch and take bio balls out and only add a brick of a ceramic brand to use as filtration and open up some space in my sump.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back