Best HOB protein skimmer for 90 gallon? (wood floors in mind!)

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the aqua-c. I've used one of the original ones for about 8 years and it's great. Never had a leak and they work great.

+1
I have an original that was used for ????? Before I got it, and I've been using it for going on 4 years now..heck I don't even have the o ring for adjusting the skimmer cup and it still works great lol

Diego Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hob protein skimmer is not perfect safer skimmer, though it is not overflows and I once I used it, now I am using a top protein skimmer, which works excellent and no overflows. Thank you,

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx Hob-1 & Hob-1.5 Skimmer

It's understandable that hang on the back skimmers aren't always the favorite way to run a skimmer, especially having a big bulky box hang on the side of your tank which can be an eye sore. Now if you have no sump and only option is to have a hang on the back skimmer then look no further because I'm gonna explain why these two following skimmers are the best hang on the back skimmers on the market.

Here are the quick specs:
-Aquamaxx Hob-1 (Tanks up to 75 Gallons (light bioload) or 40 Gallons (heavy bioload)), Dimension : L 7.5 x W 3.5 x H 17 Inch, Italian-made Sicce Shark/Syncra 1.0 pump

-Aquamaxx Hob 1.5 (Tanks up to 90 Gallons (light bioload) or 60 Gallons (heavy bioload)), Dimension : L 7.5 x W 3.5 x H 17 Inch, AquaMaxx SHARK 1.0 (modified and upgraded Italian Sicce pump)

Now what makes the Aquamaxx Hang on skimmers different than any other skimmers on the market?
A few things:
-Very little break in period (only took half a day for mine)
-Italian Made Pumps
-Sleek and stylish looks
-Quiet and Efficient
-Pump sits inside of the skimmer itself compared to skimmers with pumps inside the tank or under the skimmer
-Custom conical bubble diffusor "help minimize the turbulence inside the reaction chamber and help to direct water linearly up toward the collection cup"
-Compact Design
-Ability to fully remove all parts from housing for easier maintenance and cleaning

I question if there are any cons to this skimmer, I've tried to come up with a list:
-Price point may be more pricey than other hob skimmers, but you get what you paid for
-Skimmer greatly benefits from cleaning every 3-4 months
-Intake needs to be clean of debris and build up at least once a month

Other than those little things these two skimmers pack a punch. The 1.5 version is just an upgraded big brother of the 1.0. If you have a tank that's using a hob 1.0 and its doing the job then there's no point in upgrading to the 1.5 version unless you see that the 1.0 is not doing it for you. The recommended tank usage is almost on point. There is a 1 year manufacturer warranty for the skimmer. You will not be disappointed with these skimmers as well as Aquamaxx's build quality and their amazing customer service.

My experience with the 1.0:
I've had this skimmer since August 13, 2016 on my Innovative Marine lagoon 25 and it's been doing the job extremely well. I've had no complaints. Let me remind you that this skimmer sits in the bedroom where i sleep in and it's just that quiet. I don't heat the pump just the bubbling and the silencer does a great job at keeping it as silent as possible. I will add my bio-load is medium to heavy because i feed the corals reef roids and lps pellets but the skimmer is still doing a good job at removing that waste and uneaten food.

Remember if you want to see more great reviews try out my affiliate link to this awesome skimmer! It doesn't cost you any extra and helps us to put out more review! I'll post the affiliate links down below!

Here's the link to the 1.0
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...?utm_source=admirecorals&utm_medium=affiliate

Here's the link to the 1.5 https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...?utm_source=admirecorals&utm_medium=affiliate

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back