Best JBJ HQ Bulb?

juicemonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28 gallon JBJ HQ nano with the stock bulb. I really dont like the colors the bulb gives off so I am looking for a replacement. Need a recommendation. I want growth and the good color.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried 3 different bulbs in my JBJ 28 and I like the Ushio 20K... I would also recommend installing the nanotuners.com powercompact retrofits... it's really nice to get the dusk/dawn effect

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28 gallon JBJ HQ nano with the stock bulb. I really dont like the colors the bulb gives off so I am looking for a replacement. Need a recommendation. I want growth and the good color.

I have the same system and after a year on the stock bulb I replaced it with a Phoenix 14k. Its bluer and since I have had it in, about 6 weeks, a ton of extra growth and great color. Word to the wise, when you do install a new bulb, turn your lights back an hour or 2 for the first week. I had a bad hair algae problem that I fought and I think it was due to the new lighting. Good luck!

OP
OP
juicemonkey

juicemonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same system and after a year on the stock bulb I replaced it with a Phoenix 14k. Its bluer and since I have had it in, about 6 weeks, a ton of extra growth and great color. Word to the wise, when you do install a new bulb, turn your lights back an hour or 2 for the first week. I had a bad hair algae problem that I fought and I think it was due to the new lighting. Good luck!

where did you get it at and how much?

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the JBJ 28hqi and used a few bulbs in it. I wanted the pheonix but my lfs doesnt sell it. My last change was from ushio 20k to reeflux 20k and I do like the reflux better, its a bit more blue.

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had the stock bulb, then Ushio 20k, now radium 20k, got it at Marine Depot. Expensive but well worth it. Also have the actinic supplement retrofit, awesome.

XCrunnr36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my vote still stands for the phoenix. great bang for your buck.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back