Best Par Meter For LED lights

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,

I have 2 Hydra 52 HD's and I am just looking for opinions on the best PAR meter to measure the light for LED's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are without a light meter at all, keep in mind that there's no reason to spend a big pile of money for basic measurement capabilities.

Start off with a $free [HASHTAG]#lux[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#meter[/HASHTAG] app for your smartphone. Plenty of folks here have done that already, so there are probably measurements you can compare with.

$15 (delivered) will get you a much better (and safer to use around saltwater) LX-1010B handheld meter from eBay/Amazon/etc.

Surface measurements with either of these will do at least 90% of what you're likely to need - gauging intensity and comparing measurements between old and new lights, etc. (If you have a specific use-case, let us know though!)

If you follow those tags or do a search for "lux meter" you can find plenty of thread from the past year or two...

(To pre-empt naysayers, I and others have been using these meters successfully - they do work. :) )

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are without a light meter at all, keep in mind that there's no reason to spend a big pile of money for basic measurement capabilities.

Start off with a $free [HASHTAG]#lux[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#meter[/HASHTAG] app for your smartphone. Plenty of folks here have done that already, so there are probably measurements you can compare with.

$15 (delivered) will get you a much better (and safer to use around saltwater) LX-1010B handheld meter from eBay/Amazon/etc.

Surface measurements with either of these will do at least 90% of what you're likely to need - gauging intensity and comparing measurements between old and new lights, etc. (If you have a specific use-case, let us know though!)

If you follow those tags or do a search for "lux meter" you can find plenty of thread from the past year or two...

(To pre-empt naysayers, I and others have been using these meters successfully - they do work. :) )
I was just going to tag you lol
This is by far the best way IMO to measure lighting for under $350 bucks ;)

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option that wasnt mentioned....

A ton of LFS stores will rent a par meter out to you for $10 a day. I am not sold on the lux to par conversion, but I can see the appeal.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got me one of these bad boys off of amazon
IMG_3257.JPG

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sold on the lux to par conversion

There is no day-to-day conversion....no need....you just work in lux. :)

Conversions are for communicating with people who are (so far) only familiar with PAR or for comparing with historical PAR measurements.

If you had a serious reason to do the conversion, you'd rent that PAR meter and take parallel measurements of PAR and lux on the same light fixture. That's a REAL conversion factor that will be accurate and repeatable.

But again, generally I/we don't have any reason to convert just to use the lux meter for its intended purposes. Measure in lux....stay in lux. :)

OP
OP
G8trBait16

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a LUX meter about a month ago from amazon a Dr.Meter LX1010B 100,000 Light Meter. I will have to read through the different threads again on here. I have been trying to get the settings right on my Hydra's. Just wasn't 100% sure on what the optimal ranges would be for LUX for an SPS tank (have about 35-40 acro frags).

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Conversions are for communicating with people who are (so far) only familiar with PAR or for comparing with historical PAR measurements.

If you had a serious reason to do the conversion, you'd rent that PAR meter and take parallel measurements of PAR and lux on the same light fixture. That's a REAL conversion factor that will be accurate and repeatable.

But again, generally I/we don't have any reason to convert just to use the lux meter for its intended purposes. Measure in lux....stay in lux. :)

So you are stating that you want to speak in terms of lux when dealing with photosynthetic organisms and the reefing community?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But of course there are very good reasons people talk in PAR rather than lux. If you are comparing lights for lighting a room in your house then lux makes a lot of sense and generally is a very good measurement to use.

When it comes to plants or coral ....lux is much less useful. Two lights could have identical lux readings, but have vastly different amounts of useable light(from a corals perspecive). PAR meters are still not perfect in this regard but exponentially better than a lux meter.

LakeCityReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading around 25k lux mid day above the water on my system. If I crank my LED all the way up it will read around 45k. I notice the white led affects the lux reading the most.

I'm not sure how this translates into par. I don't feel my light is bright enough.

Does anybody else have lux readings from their succesful setups that I could compare to?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading around 25k lux mid day above the water on my system. If I crank my LED all the way up it will read around 45k. I notice the white led affects the lux reading the most.

I'm not sure how this translates into par. I don't feel my light is bright enough.

Does anybody else have lux readings from their succesful setups that I could compare to?

if you have an iphone. lemme know what lux app you are using and ill compare

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The simple answer is they font translate to PAR. It is not that they are just different measurements but that they measure different things. LUX in general is brightness of what humans see. PAR in general is "brightness" of what plants and coral see. Not all plants and coral are the same in the wavelengths they most need of course.....but PAR is much better all around. You can convert it all you want but that tells you nothing about the actual wavelengths of light that are needed by your corals.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gah these things are not accurate...

pointed mine at the sun.
image.png

pointed it at my baby leds...

image.png

i know for a FACT my leds put off more power than the sun....

for reference my par numbers 1 inch below the surface.
image.jpg

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

just incase i messed something up...

image.png

me pointing it at the sky

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a LUX meter about a month ago from amazon a Dr.Meter LX1010B 100,000 Light Meter. I will have to read through the different threads again on here. I have been trying to get the settings right on my Hydra's. Just wasn't 100% sure on what the optimal ranges would be for LUX for an SPS tank (have about 35-40 acro frags).

There are some important numbers to know:
  1. What is the intensity of direct sunlight at the equator where many corals are from?
  2. What is the light compensation point of corals?
  3. What intensity levels have people had documented success with?
Those are all equally important and note there's nothing about PAR or lux involved. The answers can be expressed in either units.

The answers, roughly speaking...
  1. 100,000 lux or 2,000 PAR (or a conversion factor of 50)
  2. 5,000 to 10,000 lux
  3. From around 10,000 up to nearly direct sunlight levels. Many corals seem visibly stressed above ~80,000 lux. Clams are more geared for surface light levels....corals seem to be more optimized for the middle depths. From around 20,000 lux to around 50,000 lux seems to be a sweet spot for most corals.
So you are stating that you want to speak in terms of lux when dealing with photosynthetic organisms and the reefing community?

Well...it's more like I'm fed up with speaking in terms of "yeah, it's pretty bright...38%. Yours is 58%???".

That's half a step from gibberish, but it's what most of us are stuck doing when we dial in new lights in absence of a light meter. :)

I (like many people past and present) have toasted a tank full of corals speaking like that.

So don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with using a PAR meter. You'll never hear me say that.

What you will find is that when you have a lux meter, there is no need to convert to PAR. For our purpose (which is not a sophisticated one) there is nothing inherently better about PAR units.

So it's not about avoiding PAR meters....their cost yields that effect naturally. ;)

It's about using a meter because any meter is 1000x better that an eyeball. The fact that there are $free and $15 options that are totally legit, yet so rarely get used, is a travesty IMO.

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some important numbers to know:
  1. What is the intensity of direct sunlight at the equator where many corals are from?
  2. What is the light compensation point of corals?
  3. What intensity levels have people had documented success with?
Those are all equally important and note there's nothing about PAR or lux involved. The answers can be expressed in either units.

The answers, roughly speaking...
  1. 100,000 lux or 2,000 PAR (or a conversion factor of 50)
  2. 5,000 to 10,000 lux
  3. From around 10,000 up to nearly direct sunlight levels. Many corals seem visibly stressed above ~80,000 lux. Clams are more geared for surface light levels....corals seem to be more optimized for the middle depths. From around 20,000 lux to around 50,000 lux seems to be a sweet spot for most corals.

Well...it's more like I'm fed up with speaking in terms of "yeah, it's pretty bright...38%. Yours is 58%???".

That's half a step from gibberish, but it's what most of us are stuck doing when we dial in new lights in absence of a light meter. :)

I (like many people past and present) have toasted a tank full of corals speaking like that.

So don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with using a PAR meter. You'll never hear me say that.

What you will find is that when you have a lux meter, there is no need to convert to PAR. For our purpose (which is not a sophisticated one) there is nothing inherently better about PAR units.

So it's not about avoiding PAR meters....their cost yields that effect naturally. ;)

It's about using a meter because any meter is 1000x better that an eyeball. The fact that there are $free and $15 options that are totally legit, yet so rarely get used, is a travesty IMO.

I'm interested in trying a lux meter. The only thing that confuses me....we know what par level coral X needs, eg: sps at 400-450 par.

Without converting Lux to par, how do we use the numbers on the meter if they really don't tell me anything? Or unless there's a "lux range" for sps, softies, etc. From point #3, would you imply that sps would need 40-50k lux?

Last edited:

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most popular number ive seen is to divide by 76.

at 64736 lux that would net me 851 par. ballparkish.... but not accurate at all. i had like 2k par above the water where my phone was.

also this lux meter went anywhere from 20k lux to 100k lux when i pointed it at my leds. using division for 30 seconds it came up with the 64,000 number.

while i guess semi-accurate it is not what i would go off of. but i guess as hobbiests we can do the ballparkish thing.

im not knocking what you are attempting. i just wouldnt hold it to the standard of a par meter (which has accuracy problems on it's own)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back