Best ro unit for my well water?

Brianrat60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm looking for a new ro system for my well water. I currently have the aquatic life 3 stage 100gpd unit. It dosen't seem to be doing the job.. cartridges burn out really fast, and it seems the po4 is higher in my fresh ro water than it is in my tank.. how could that be? I run phosguard in my tank but it seems like it dosen't matter when I'm steadily dumping p04 in my tank with top offs.. any help is appreciated!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the container is leaching po4 you store it in.

That said a booster pump, plus more sediment filters is good.

What cartridges burn out?

OP
OP
B

Brianrat60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the container is leaching po4 you store it in.

That said a booster pump, plus more sediment filters is good.

What cartridges burn out?
It's just a regular 5 gallon bucket I bought off Amazon. Says it's food grade.. Could that be the problem? The d.i. cartridge burns out super fast. After around 75 gallons or so..

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High co2 kills di resin. My city water comes from a well field and at my tap it is 20ppm co2. As per spectrapure I make ro into a 44 gallon brute with s big airstone and a large air pump, aerate for a couple days then pump it through the di to another 44 gallon brute. My di is going on 6+ months and no less than 500 gallons

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the 3 stages? Do you have a TDS reading after membrane before DI?

Any idea what pressure readings are for the feed?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a regular 5 gallon bucket I bought off Amazon. Says it's food grade.. Could that be the problem? The d.i. cartridge burns out super fast. After around 75 gallons or so..
Deion resin will be used up by co2 in the water. I use a spectrapure select plus 99% rejection membrane. Takes my tap water down to 0 to 1tds. No deion resin needed. Tds before is anywhere from 125 to 150.

OP
OP
B

Brianrat60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the 3 stages? Do you have a TDS reading after membrane before DI?

Any idea what pressure readings are for the feed?
Sediment, carbon block, ro, di. No tds and no clue what the pressure is. Does the di cartridge going out have anything to di with phosphate in my made water being higher than my tank is?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sediment, carbon block, ro, di. No tds and no clue what the pressure is. Does the di cartridge going out have anything to di with phosphate in my made water being higher than my tank is?

You will need a TDS meter at some point. We would just be guessing without dissolved solids readings. Post DI TDS should be zero.

Calling the company is a good idea.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to know what you using to measure phosphate with? As well as your readings on your tank and on your filtered water. Would also be interesting to find out what your levels are on your source water. With well water it's a good idea to have it tested to know what you are dealing with since it can vary considerably.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's possible your filtered water has higher phosphate than your tank. There is nothing in the ro/di unit that would add phosphate and make it higher than your well water, but it's possible it's not removing it all properly. Your tank will have algae and coral .. and apparently phosguard that would bring the levels down.

Yes you should be getting more than 75g out of the DI cartridge.. way more. Something is going on with your source water or filtration before the DI cartridge to cause it to get used up so fast.

Look up an HM DM-1 or 2 inline tds meter. They are a great way to monitor the ro/di system to make sure everything is working properly.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my well is technically city water, I used a report and provided it to spectrapure. Then I purchased a better unit($$$) than they recommend. I went with the 180gpd mega Max cap. Uses custom blended di. Plus I added an extra prefilter in an old filter housing I had. My TDS comes out 0-1 after membrane, which is their spectraplus 99% rejection. This is after 6+ months with no filter changes.

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High co2 kills di resin. My city water comes from a well field and at my tap it is 20ppm co2. As per spectrapure I make ro into a 44 gallon brute with s big airstone and a large air pump, aerate for a couple days then pump it through the di to another 44 gallon brute. My di is going on 6+ months and no less than 500 gallons
what are you using to pump to the di, thanks

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 1/4 inch tubing fits or have you rigged somthing up
Lowes/HomeDepot would have adapters to go from 1/2" ID tubing to go from the pump to the 1/4" push lock fitting. You may find it easier to remove the fitting from the input on the filter housing and replace it with something that will connect easier to 1/2" ID soft tubing from the pump. I would bring the housing to the store so you can get something that fits.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to use tubing from he and push it into the pump, then to q/4" pushlock. I think it was 3/8 to 1/4 then up to the di. I had to elevate the first can (RO) as the pump wouldn't push past half empty. DI has a fair amount of restriction. I also have a valve to cut flow through di to 16 ounces per minute for good dwell time across the di. Daniel at spectrapure walked me through all this over the phone and numerous emails till I got it dialed in. Going on 1 year with all original filters. Going from just over 100 ppm input to 0-1 ppm after membrane and 0 after di

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back