Best Way To Avoid Possible Fish to Human Diseases?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about palytoxins a week or 2 ago actually and would want to stay far away from those kinds of coral if I do end up having coral at some point! Are there corals that are generally safe and don't have toxins?

As for the fish, I haven't fully learnt about which ones have poison and are a bad idea for me. Clownfish are safe though, right!? (I hope haha)
From what I've read, it's pretty much a safe assumption that anything in the water has some level of toxicity. The only ones that I've heard of being particularly dangerous to humans without allergies, however, are Palythoas (palys), Zoanthids (zoas), and Gonioporas (gonis) - and to my knowledge, nobody in the hobby has ever actually died from these corals (though there have been a number of hospital visits related to the palytoxins in palys and zoas, typically either from aerosolizing the toxins somehow [usually through incredibly unwise and unsafe decisions] or from people getting the toxins in their eyes). A general rule of thumb, if you treat the corals with proper respect and practice good safety rules (including wearing PPE when handling and fragging the corals), you'll be fine.

In other words, most corals are completely safe to handle and have in your tank (including - for most people - the highly toxic ones), but you should always practice good safety rules regardless.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, it's pretty much a safe assumption that anything in the water has some level of toxicity. The only ones that I've heard of being particularly dangerous to humans without allergies, however, are Palythoas (palys), Zoanthids (zoas), and Gonioporas (gonis) - and to my knowledge, nobody in the hobby has ever actually died from these corals (though there have been a number of hospital visits related to the palytoxins in palys and zoas, typically either from aerosolizing the toxins somehow [usually through incredibly unwise and unsafe decisions] or from people getting the toxins in their eyes). A general rule of thumb, if you treat the corals with proper respect and practice good safety rules (including wearing PPE when handling and fragging the corals), you'll be fine.

In other words, most corals are completely safe to handle and have in your tank (including - for most people - the highly toxic ones), but you should always practice good safety rules regardless.
Hmm, well that is semi-reassuring for sure! That said, the risk of a hospital visit from toxins doesn't sound like a risk I'd be willing to take, so I guess either I find the corals that are not plays and zoas, or stick to fish only. I love the hobby and have always loved having fish growing up, but since having an auto-immune disease (lupus) I'm questioning whether I got myself in over my head or not.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought those exact gloves haha

So if not a siphon house, how do you clean your tank? You just don’t clean the substrate? What kind of pump (I’m not familiar as I’ve always used siphon hoses).

I don’t think I’ll be eating this species of fish haha
There are siphon hoses that come with a squeeze ball attached to start the siphon

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back