Beware of the 3 legged Gray Astrenas (SP?)

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some folks will say no way they are harmless but I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that they are not. I have on 4 occasions now caught the small 3 legged gray / blue Astrena star fish killing my Zoa / Paly Polyps. Today I saw 1 polyp in the center of my 20 polyp PPE colony closed up. Upon further inspection there was a gray / blue astrena latched on to the polyp. On other occasions I have looked in my tank to see a clear spot on a Zoa colony and found one on what was left of the polyps. Now these are not the white ones that normally hang out on the glass. These are a slate gray / blue color and usually have 3 - 3.5 legs. They tend to stay on the LR and then show up on my Zoa / Paly colonies. You have to look pretty close as they tend to blend in on the LR. Be afraid...Be very afraid.

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you on this one , I have witness these little buggers eat one of nicest zoa polyps as well THey are NO welcomed in any of my tanks anymore :) , Then came my harly shrimp and never again to see them in my tank.
Good luck and get one of those shrimp those bugger multiply quick

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that is them! The PPE polyp that it was attached to is now closed and has these brown lesions / wounds. The rest of the colony looks good. Will a harlequin get along with a cleaner?

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to agree on this as well. Mine were the pinkish colored ones that almost anillated a colony of zoa's I have. Once I got rid of them, the colony is now back to full steam.

Sandy

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my neon orange serpent and other brittle stars too much. Maybe I will stick to the SPS corals, they seem to prosper snail, stars, or whatever!

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that is them! The PPE polyp that it was attached to is now closed and has these brown lesions / wounds. The rest of the colony looks good. Will a harlequin get along with a cleaner?

Yes, Both shrimp should get along fine. I have 2 cleaners, 1 blood ,3 sexy shrimp, 1 pep and a pistol shrimp and the harly all live in perfect harmony :p

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One got my frag of eclipse yellows. Woke up in the morning and all 3 polyps were gone with one of these sitting right where they used to be. I get them out when i see them, but its rare that i find one.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back