OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. This was just a tiny little internal box to cover the siphon spout of a hob filter. It was maybe 2" by 2" by 4". That is why it was easier to just grab some silicon and try. Now I know never just something new without reading and researching. I usually use the small green tube of silicon we all use. I got this since it was in a larger bottle and had it for another project. Figured silicon is silicon. Big oops!! Other project was not for use in aquarium by the way. :)

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. :(

Actually if you're siliconing acrylic, I wouldn't use GE I or GE II. There is a reef safe silicone specifically made for acrylic. You'll find it in the acrylic sheet department of HD....not with the other silicones and caulk in the paint department. This stuff works great, and as with any silicone, the longer you wait for it the cure, the better off you'll be. I like to wait a week. Here's what the stuff looks like...I think about $8 tube.
Silicone Plastic.jpg

To give you idea how long tank manufacturers want you to wait, I just purchased a new Glass Cages tank and they want me to wait three to four weeks before it sees water:
New Tank Birthday.jpg
I find this very interesting due to a certain company that does the $1 a gallon sale that we all know of. They push out those tanks in a weeks time. Here you have from a manufacturer saying wait 3 weeks before it sees water and they give you the born on date. If someone was to buy a 65g at 24 inches high. 1" away from the 3 week requirement suggested and we as the consumer go and buy one of these good deals. We most likely will fill it with water the next day not knowing this suggested requirement should be applied for any tank. If we do not. Then we are kind of destined for disaster. Thanks for the heads up and we should all keep this in mind when making a purchasing on a $1g sale tank.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this very interesting due to a certain company that does the $1 a gallon sale that we all know of. They push out those tanks in a weeks time. Here you have from a manufacturer saying wait 3 weeks before it sees water and they give you the born on date. If someone was to buy a 65g at 24 inches high. 1" away from the 3 week requirement suggested and we as the consumer go and buy one of these good deals. We most likely will fill it with water the next day not knowing this suggested requirement should be applied for any tank. If we do not. Then we are kind of destined for disaster. Thanks for the heads up and we should all keep this in mind when making a purchasing on a $1g sale tank.

Glass Cages tanks are a lot bigger than the $1 a gallon tanks. Mine was an 8’ 240 gallon tank and the owner was nervous for me to even transport in the back of my F150. He wanted me to use an enclosed uhaul. I told him that wasn’t happening and I had already paid for it and I just drove 3 hours to pick it up.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages tanks are a lot bigger than the $1 a gallon tanks. Mine was an 8’ 240 gallon tank and the owner was nervous for me to even transport in the back of my F150. He wanted me to use an enclosed uhaul. I told him that wasn’t happening and I had already paid for it and I just drove 3 hours to pick it up.
Yeah that is a ton of weight literally pressing against those walls. Still just a thought, because the manufacturer is admitting the silicone is not set yet. Regardless of the weight and pressure. It is the set time I am talking about.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I seen this thread on silicones, I'm about to redo some seams on a old 40g long for a frag tank. I was going to use GE but I ordered salt from Chewy and a couple of powerheads so to get free shipping I bought a small tube of Auqeon. There is a guy on E-bay out of Florida that sells baffels for refugiums and GE is what he recommends because "it sticks to acrylic and glass" thanks for the heads up on curing time. I tool a sharp razor blade and trimmed the loose edges off yesterday, planing on doing the silicone tonight. Then I was going let it sit for about a week, now I guess I'll wait at least two now, the live rock out of the wifes tank we took down to replace with the frag tank should be fine with a heater and power head in a tote for a couple of week.
The only reasons tank mft’ers say to wait longer is because the silicon on tanks is structural. In a sump baffles for the most part have equal pressure on them therefore most silicon cures 100% in 24-48 hrs making them non toxic, assuming you use a fish safe product.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleepydoc I don't think you are correct about Silicon II being aquarium safe after it has cured. Silicone II has a mold inhibitor in it which is claimed to inhibit mold for 5 to 7 years.

I believe it is the mold inhibitor that makes it toxic in an aquarium.

Some formulations may have a mold inhibitor (generally the kitchen & bath varieties,) but the Silicone II itself can be used if properly cured. The problem is that the mold inhibitors are never explicitly stated, only implied on the label, nor do they show up in the MSDS, so it's difficult to tell for sure. In general window & door varieties are less likely to have them.

I don't believe there is a Silicone I formulation with mold inhibitors, that's the safest. Alternatively, Momentive RTV 100 series is a better quality sealant and is known to be safe and used by aquarium manufacturers.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. :(

Actually if you're siliconing acrylic, I wouldn't use GE I or GE II. There is a reef safe silicone specifically made for acrylic. You'll find it in the acrylic sheet department of HD....not with the other silicones and caulk in the paint department. This stuff works great, and as with any silicone, the longer you wait for it the cure, the better off you'll be. I like to wait a week. Here's what the stuff looks like...I think about $8 tube.
Silicone Plastic.jpg

To give you idea how long tank manufacturers want you to wait, I just purchased a new Glass Cages tank and they want me to wait three to four weeks before it sees water:
New Tank Birthday.jpg
Yep I had the same experience with Glass Cages. Silicon still smelled of fresh but set enough to move

OP
OP
DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story about the pistol shrimp that is immortal...

So after this happened, I tore down that 6g and started up a new one for the rest of living creatures that were not in 40g (shrimp and zoas). A couple days in, I noticed the shrimp out and in front of the tank. He looked pale too. I was heartbroken at first, then though oh, shed. So I got my trusty tweezers and went to pull it out. Well, I'll be darned if that silly shrimp did not attack my tweezers and snap loudly.

Not sure why he was out front as he never seems to leave his rocks, but it was evening. Silly thing.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back