bio filtration

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a few of the ceramic bio balls in the sump area, 2 would be plenty for that tank it would definilty improve your bio filtration
And not to overcomplicate things, but while strictly speaking I don't think you need to add extra biomedia in your back media chamber, it's never a bad idea. Many of us like to keep a little extra biomedia going to use to quickly setup and cycle a new tank, like, for example, a hospital tank when needed. Arguably, the *best* way to cycle any new tank would be to use precycled biomedia or live rock from an established system. Just a suggestion.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thing, how do i make a good, inexpensive lid for the tidelineaio11.3? im thinking mesh, ducktape the ends, and then place it on top, maybe even just cardboard, maybe mosquito net or an old screen door net
Look around, someone may already make a screen or acrylic top for your tank. Maybe check out Kraken Reef, they make polycarbonate lids that are maybe not cheap but pretty popular here on R2R:

https://krakenreef.com/

For DIY, skip the duct tape ;-) Do a YouTube search, there are lots of way to make your own screen top. Bulk Reef Supply, for example, has kits and parts that may help:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefing/Screen-Top-Kit?utm_campaign=DSA%3ERLSA+Global&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=7373341438&hsa_cam=843440857&hsa_grp=41971741854&hsa_ad=563944866636&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=aud-1952256890547:dsa-295317350131&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAloavBhBOEiwAbtAJOw-S2f7ObW96APlbpRHwgmS-hDzaFFU_NGJPKqGaFlmhDH9zuhyzzhoC0p4QAvD_BwE

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And not to overcomplicate things, but while strictly speaking I don't think you need to add extra biomedia in your back media chamber, it's never a bad idea. Many of us like to keep a little extra biomedia going to use to quickly setup and cycle a new tank, like, for example, a hospital tank when needed. Arguably, the *best* way to cycle any new tank would be to use precycled biomedia or live rock from an established system. Just a suggestion.
ok, thanks :D

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might not need one, but something to keep fish from jumping out is never a bad idea - a lot of people use screens/mesh, others like solid lids.
And everything is even more likely to jump in such a small tank. If a fish gets startled and bolts, there’s not a lot of room before it hits the glass and sometimes goes right over the glass. So fish that don’t typically jump, like Clowns, can still become a floor-dried cat treat when kept in small tanks.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And everything is even more likely to jump in such a small tank. If a fish gets startled and bolts, there’s not a lot of room before it hits the glass and sometimes goes right over the glass. So fish that don’t typically jump, like Clowns, can still become a floor-dried cat treat when kept in small tanks.
ye lol, my clown pleco flew out of my tank, 7 feet away XD :CCCCCC

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back