Bio pellet experiences

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experiences with bio pellets, good or bad? I've heard they can crash a tank or help it thrive. Sounds a little risky, please share

whixley101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slowly with 50-100ml every two weeks until you reach your target. I have ran them for 3 years with no problems except for the initial bacterial bloom. Also make sure it is near your skimmer intake. A lot of people make that mistake.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slowly with 50-100ml every two weeks until you reach your target. I have ran them for 3 years with no problems except for the initial bacterial bloom. Also make sure it is near your skimmer intake. A lot of people make that mistake.

+1 Also run your alk a little on the low side. I target 7 to 7.5 DKH.

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pro carbon source dosing. Make sure you don't limit your bacteria they need PO4. Basically you need 30 parts C to 16 parts NO3 to one part PO4 aproximatly to feed the bacteria you are growing. When you start pellets discontinue GFO until your Nitrates zero out and then us cautiously as needed. Though not needed adding a bacteria source at the beginning can help get things started and less after established. I think somebody already added that low nutrient tanks seem to run better with more natural levels of alkalinity. Also, you may want to look into a recirculating model as you can control the process rate of water. This is helpful in tanks that need a little nutrients as you can really turn your water column into a desert. One of the best things about carbon dosing is the increased Bio load it affords. Best of luck to you and keep researching.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick answer is I used them and didn't like them. They stripped the nutrients out of the water and caused the SPS to turn dull. I tried dosing aminos and other additives with no effect... The last straw was when the tank had no more sponges for the starfish to feed on causing all 3 to die. I had them all for years prior...

This is just my experience, but I know many people that love them... To each their own I guess.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back