Biocube filtration issue. 14G always has particles floating in it. Skimmer needed?

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 14g biocube up for about a month and a half now, and been cycled for about three weeks. Added a fish and some corals over the last two weeks after inverts onlt for the first week.

Here is my setup:

Ch1. False floor knocked out w/100w eheim heater.

ch2. media basket with(from top to bottom Floss, purigen, chemipure(not elite).

ch3 Maxijet 900

My problem is, is that ever since I have started feeding, theres always partickles floating around in the tank, and it seems as if very little gets filtered out. Im wondering if I might benafit from blocking off the lower return to force more water through the top? Or at least blocking of several of the opening? Or should I just invest in a skimmer? If so what would you recomend, and where does my heater go?

merlini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve, I wont bother with the lower return. Try not to over feed and add a small powerhead for intank circulation. I run my BC 14 without a skimmer just fine, regular water change is more than enough.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a mj900 and also a koralia 240. Flow seems decent. Just did a we yesterday. I think I might mess with the positioning of my koralia. I also just popped the diverted off the return and it seems to have helped flow a bit(water level dropped in ch3).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back