Biocube protein skimmer humming

catlady25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am brand new to the aquarium hobby and started a tank in a Biocube 32 about a month ago. I have the Biocube protein skimmer in there (the one designed specifically for Biocube) and it hums very loudly and is driving me insane! I've seen some other threads about mitigating the noise and have tried a few things but it's still there. I think it's mostly caused by the skimmer touching the lid and vibrating, because the majority of the noise goes away when the lid is open. We've put a weight on top to make sure that it's tight against the lid and that helps a lot, but it's still not at a level I'd like. For some reason, the humming seems to get worse at night. I'm not sure if that's just because it's generally quieter at night so I'm hearing it more, or if it actually is getting louder. It's woken me up multiple times so I definitely need to do something about it!

What I would like to know -- if I were to stop using the protein skimmer, what would be absolutely necessary to have for filtration and/or water oxygenation in the tank? Currently we have the protein skimmer, the Biocube filter that comes with this aquarium, and Purigen. We're also doing 20% water changes every two weeks. I'm considering getting some macroalgae to put in the main tank for decoration too, but haven't gotten any yet.

Or if you all have some advice for stopping the hum that would be great! I don't think you can adjust the depth with this particular skimmer (please correct me if I'm wrong!!), so I don't think that is an option. I'm considering just turning it off at night, do any of you have any opinion on that?

We currently have a skunk cleaner shrimp and two astrea snails, and are getting a yellow watchman goby tomorrow. We're planning on eventually also getting 2 clownfish and adding some soft corals in, but that won't be for a while after the goby. If I do decide to remove the skimmer or make any changes to the filtration, when would be a good time to do that? I don't want to stress everything out by making changes too soon after adding them to the tank!

Thanks!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back