Bipartitus wrasse in QT

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this female in QT for almost a month along with a Randall anthias. Also had a McCosker wrasse as all these fish came from LA and added to QT at the same time. Lost the McCosker about 2 weeks ago. The QT has been treated 4 times with prazipro and the wrasse still seems to have flukes or something else. Did a FW dip and about 30 flukes came off, she has been treated 2 times since and still flashes on occasion.
What should I do next?
What are chances anthias has flukes as he seems normal? He’s been treated 4 times but not a FW dip.

Thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are pretty great if you have flukes in the QT all fish would be inflicted.

You may have encountered a prazi resistant strain of flukes.

See this post from @Humblefish. The very last line is something you may have to consider.
There are pros & cons of using General Cure vs. Prazipro.

General Cure

Pros:
  • Gentler on most fish due to lower praziquantel concentration (2.0mg/L)
  • Includes metronidazole which is useful for treating brook, uronema, intestinal worms
  • Unlikely to cause a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) when mixed with other medications
Cons:
  • Less effective against prazi resistant worms
  • Not easily water soluble (Best to pour the powder into a brine shrimp net, partially submerge, gently knead so fine particles drift out into the aquarium. Continue until all has been expressed into the water.)
Prazipro

Pros:
  • More effective against prazi resistant worms
  • Dissolves easily in water (can be poured right in)
Cons:
  • Harsher/more side effects due to higher concentration of praziquantel (2.5mg/L)
  • Can cause a bacterial bloom/low oxygen when mixed with other meds, due to the Oxybispropanol it contains
FWIW; 2.0mg/L praziquantel is considered therapeutic for treating skin & gill flukes + turbellarians. However, if General Cure fails you try treating with Prazipro before moving on to hyposalinity or formalin to address prazi resistant flukes or turbellarians (black ich).

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also do hypo ( < 1.011 sg or 15ppt) for 5-7 days. I've had prazi resistant flukes a couple times and this is what bailed me out.

You'll want to keep an eye on pH though.. I usually buy a 1g bottle of distilled, bake 1.5 cups of baking soda at 300° for an hour, pour 1- 1 1/8 of it in the jug and shake it up, and pour ~a shot glass full into the qt as needed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back