Birdsnest coral hard to keep?

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I really like a birdsnest coral a buddy of mine has at home. I am a new reefer in the last few months and have a biocube 32 g. Since it's new I don't want to get into SPS, but I was wondering if birdsnest would be considered much hardier than acros and if it would most likely survive in a new reef. Let me know!

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros are in a category of their own for difficulty. Montis would be considered next I’d say, and then other things are easier for SPS. Stylophora and birdsnest are definitely the easiest of SPS to keep.

worth giving it a shot, but I’d still focus on making sure your tank is ready. Do some research on keeping SPS. Birdsnest will be less particular on flow and lighting and will adapt to most situations, but will still want stable parameters in the appropriate ranges.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo they're fairly easy to care for. Acros are definitely difficult and montis can be a hit or miss. I've had montis live with no color and some grow amazing with vivid colours. Birdsnest are hardier. Buddy of mine had 1 in a tank with 30+ nitrate and it grew. That being said I agree that make sure your tanks ready. They prefer higher flow but randomized and they do best in medium light in my experience. They loved the same care as my hammer garden

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo they're fairly easy to care for. Acros are definitely difficult and montis can be a hit or miss. I've had montis live with no color and some grow amazing with vivid colours. Birdsnest are hardier. Buddy of mine had 1 in a tank with 30+ nitrate and it grew. That being said I agree that make sure your tanks ready. They prefer higher flow but randomized and they do best in medium light in my experience. They loved the same care as my hammer garden
Good to know! Was planning on getting a hammer in the next month of two also. Currently, I have a zoa, two digi, and a disco mushroom. The digi and zoa were given to me so I tossed them in to see how they would do

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Was planning on getting a hammer in the next month of two also. Currently, I have a zoa, two digi, and a disco mushroom. The digi and zoa were given to me so I tossed them in to see how they would do
I'm still fairly new to reefing. I made tons of mistakes but I realized if I don't mess with the tank it'll do its own thing. I was growing some easier acros once my tank hit 11 months and growing easier sps at 9

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I really like a birdsnest coral a buddy of mine has at home. I am a new reefer in the last few months and have a biocube 32 g. Since it's new I don't want to get into SPS, but I was wondering if birdsnest would be considered much hardier than acros and if it would most likely survive in a new reef. Let me know!
Yes and no.
Some find them easy and some not so much.
I could not for the life of me grow them for the longest time. I could grow acros, digis, Montis, ect. I just got one from a fellow reefer a few months ago and it's growing. My tank is 8 years old.

So all in all, I'd set hot or miss but you don't know until you try.

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no.
Some find them easy and some not so much.
I could not for the life of me grow them for the longest time. I could grow acros, digis, Montis, ect. I just got one from a fellow reefer a few months ago and it's growing. My tank is 8 years old.

So all in all, I'd set hot or miss but you don't know until you try.
that's what I'm thinking. Theres a guy who's been helping me start up who has an online coral business (coralbeauties.com shameless plug haha) and he had some birdsnest for an order he was sending out but the birdsnest was actually from a friend in my area who also has an online coral business called Lazys Coral House and it's this super cool purply bluish birdsnest that actually developed in his tank from a green birdsnest and it's a completely new type. Super pretty so I think in a month or two i'm going to send it

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros are in a category of their own for difficulty. Montis would be considered next I’d say, and then other things are easier for SPS. Stylophora and birdsnest are definitely the easiest of SPS to keep.

worth giving it a shot, but I’d still focus on making sure your tank is ready. Do some research on keeping SPS. Birdsnest will be less particular on flow and lighting and will adapt to most situations, but will still want stable parameters in the appropriate ranges.
This, stylos and birdsnest can handle a bit. Mine seem to like medium light and medium flow, retracts polyps when flow is too strong

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small frag popped up on a rock somehow in our softie tank, and has been doing well. Very slow grower, not sure if that’s normal for them as its the only one we’ve had so far, or if it’s due to the tank. Its about 1” tall now with a few different branches starting but its been there for months. I also dont feed that tank often so thats probably a part of it as well

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back