Bizarre type of bubble algae? Glitters like little diamonds

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this will be hard without a picture. I'm trying to get one but haven't managed yet.

It basically looks like small, blue-white glittery shiny things. I've seen it before on encrusting SPS that is dying out. I actually thought maybe it was the polyps themselves. Unfortunately, now it's sprouting up in the middle of a little colony of firecracker cloves that was doing pretty well. This is covering some of those clove polyps and that's obviously not good. It really does look like little diamonds.

They guy who brings me saltwater thought it was some sort of bubble algae, but it doesn't look like the bubble algae I've seen. It's smaller, shinier, and not green. Really weird.

Tank parameters are generally OK other than nitrates, which are through the roof no matter what I do (phosphates are OK though, weird).

OP
OP
B

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are a challenge, as it's a bowfront acrylic tank, and it's got some hazing, but the typical blue light thing. I managed to kill the blue and get some pics and....pretty obviously bubble algae after all. I should maybe wear my glasses more! I think the "glittery diamond-like" appearance was actually the reflection of the lights. Kinda funny....

20240602_151404.jpg
20240602_151412.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are a challenge, as it's a bowfront acrylic tank, and it's got some hazing, but the typical blue light thing. I managed to kill the blue and get some pics and....pretty obviously bubble algae after all. I should maybe wear my glasses more! I think the "glittery diamond-like" appearance was actually the reflection of the lights. Kinda funny....

20240602_151404.jpg
20240602_151412.jpg
Definitely bubble algae

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just trying to take a picture of my tank and I couldn’t get rid of those pesky blue dots either. I was trying to get a blue light picture of some new coral that looks dead under white light but shows nice fluorescent pigment with the blue diamond issue?

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back