Black thing on zoa colony.

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this black slug looking thing on my eagle eye zoa. It's a soft type of thing. Can anyone tell me what this is?

IMG_9206.JPG
IMG_9207.JPG
IMG_9208.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black sponge. common. best IMO, to scrape it off. harmless but can smother the coral.

OP
OP
Bmartinez76

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took it off and it felt more like a worm. Came out in tubular chunks. I previously had a huge vermitid snail that looked like this, but since it was on a small disposal rock I flung it into the trash.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took it off and it felt more like a worm. Came out in tubular chunks. I previously had a huge vermitid snail that looked like this, but since it was on a small disposal rock I flung it into the trash.
weird. was it hard

OP
OP
Bmartinez76

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was soft. The blade cut into it easily. When I removed the outer part you could see the tubular outline still on the rock.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it slimy? I'm wondering is it's a tunicate, as you can see through it in places and because of the shape of the left side.
possible. looks very much like mine in the tanks. usually smaller and all on zoa rocks. never move open "eat" no visible mouth regardless of size. also few of the sponge characteristics outwardly.
slimy out side, denser than most sponges(flesh like). internall, when sliced, some sponge or "Holes". Always Id'd as sponge.

OP
OP
Bmartinez76

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it. I'm still learning. Only 1 year into this. Question let's say If I didn't get all of it with my subpar operation skills, will it grow back?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it. I'm still learning. Only 1 year into this. Question let's say If I didn't get all of it with my subpar operation skills, will it grow back?
yes. you can put a sponge in a grinder and itll grow back. But really, its not anything to worry about. I have ten or more pieces of that stuff in my tank. (soon to be one less) and they generally grow quite slowly as well.
sponges are considered beneficial, i call em a miracle of nature, just scrape it off the stuff you like. easier than GSP or xenia really.

OP
OP
Bmartinez76

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9210.JPG

This is post surgery. You can see the channel in the middle where this thing was growing into and bothering the Zoa.

Back