Blaxsun's Abyss: Red Sea 750XXL

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a second I thought you started a new tank, then I realized it looked the same and this was the tank showcase thread... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Still looking good though!!

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously?! Which “crew member” did that?
I am really not sure. It's on a 3" frag base that I have wedged into the rocks, but someone obviously wanted to get by. My money is on the 3" mutant trochus snail I have as I can't see anything else being that ambitious (unless a snail was bound and determined to wedge itself under).

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a second I thought you started a new tank, then I realized it looked the same and this was the tank showcase thread... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Still looking good though!!
I need to add a updated FTS because I have a lot fewer zoas, my monti plates have taken off and the acro in the center is pushing 1' across or more.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add a updated FTS because I have a lot fewer zoas, my monti plates have taken off and the acro in the center is pushing 1' across or more.

That's awesome! I need to start getting some acros.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I need to start getting some acros.
If you look at the first FTS - that's the size when I got it just over a year ago. The second is roughly 6-8 months later. I don't have any current images, but I know 5-6 fish "sleep" in it. I also don't know what I'm doing right to have the massive amount of SPS growth that I do...

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the first FTS - that's the size when I got it just over a year ago. The second is roughly 6-8 months later. I don't have any current images, but I know 5-6 fish "sleep" in it. I also don't know what I'm doing right to have the massive amount of SPS growth that I do...

It's growing, so that's the good news! I've had good luck with LPS, and the easier SPS. I've only attempted a few acros and it hasn't ended well.

Montis do great, but on the next slot over when I place an acro, brown town. Then a slow death.

So everything is there to support the growth, and I've had an electric lemonade in the same spot do fine. Any acro though not so much.

I think the next one I get will just go into the main tank instead of the frag setup. I try to get things growing and then transplant over to the display, but it hasn't worked on an acro yet.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's growing, so that's the good news! I've had good luck with LPS, and the easier SPS. I've only attempted a few acros and it hasn't ended well.

Montis do great, but on the next slot over when I place an acro, brown town. Then a slow death.

So everything is there to support the growth, and I've had an electric lemonade in the same spot do fine. Any acro though not so much.

I think the next one I get will just go into the main tank instead of the frag setup. I try to get things growing and then transplant over to the display, but it hasn't worked on an acro yet.
One thing I have is stupid-high nutrients (35+ppm nitrates) and I run calcium close to 500ppm and magnesium in the 1450+ppm range.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have is stupid-high nutrients (35+ppm nitrates) and I run calcium close to 500ppm and magnesium in the 1450+ppm range.

I'm typically 460 for Ca and 1220 for Mg. With NO3 5-10. Seems to be working for everything except for the acros I tried.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theabyss-reeffish.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 48 fish in a 160?? How do you manage the aggression and how many are bigger fish? Saw you have an emp angel. Thats my dream fish! Love your tank its sooo pretty!!! How is the emp with the other fish and how big is it??

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back