Bleach cure rock time frame

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I recently came into some more dry live rock with dead organics. I am wondering what’s the quickest you would feel comfortable curing it in bleach. I did my other rocks for one week and everything seemed fine and my tank cycled great. I want to add a fish now but I still need to put around 30# more rock in the tank. I currently have the extra rock sitting in a container full of bleach/water solution. Do you think 24 hours in bleach/water then 24 hours in water would be enough to strip off the organics?

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much organics are on the rock? If you can see dead organics on the surface, use a water jet and blast dead organics off.
There wasn’t a lot on these particular rocks. Only on the upward facing surfaces and a light dusting at that. The other rocks I had bleached had what appeared to be a thick green felt-like turf over them. Those I nuked for a week.

I let these rocks sit in a bleach solution over night, air dry for hours, then prime+water over night. Now they are air drying and going straight into the tank.

I know BRS recommends a week in bleach but I feel like the bleach gasses off way before the end of the week and you just have rocks sitting in water at that point.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I've done the bleach soak, I usually do 2-3 cups of bleach per 5 gallons of freshwater and let soak for 24 hours.
Rinse and inspect. If any organic matter is left I do the same all over again. This second cycle has always been enough for me.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've done the bleach soak, I usually do 2-3 cups of bleach per 5 gallons of freshwater and let soak for 24 hours.
Rinse and inspect. If any organic matter is left I do the same all over again. This second cycle has always been enough for me.
I do think the week is overkill. Maybe if the rock has sponges and such on it.

BRS probably overestimated because a week would cover all the bases in terms of amount of dead organics. Currently, I cannot smell bleach or dead organics so I think I am all set!

Bleach and acid cures/cleans of anything are always a bit scary for me.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Bleach and acid cures/cleans of anything are always a bit scary for me.”

While a powerful oxidizer, I no longer use bleach to clean organics from going in a reef tank, I prefer using hydrogen peroxide.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back