Bleached zoas?

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming these are bleached zoas. If they recover. How long do you think it will take for them to color up?

20171029_083603.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got some that were not bleached that much, but very muted. Mine have changed a lot in 2 months.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please post weekly pics. I'd like to watch these little guys morph into something pretty!

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some in for I found on bleaching.

Bleached corals are not dead corals and you can bring them back. You will need to place them in direct line with current but not overpowering. Heat spike is one of many reasons for bleaching. The heat spike triggered a mass expulsion of zooxanthellae, the single cell algae which gives them their color and sustains them.

If they are indeed bleached, and void of their zooxanthellae which feeds them as well as providing coloration, they are nutrient deficient. According to E.B, "Without the proper number of zooxanthellae in their tissues, corals must rely almost entirely on dissolved nutrients uptake and heterotrophic feeding to meet their energy needs". I experienced some mild bleaching back in 2000 due to a hardware malfunction. It was very slight, but I also added some Cyclop Eeze, as stated above, I feel this added food source help them while they repopulated the zooxanthellae which was expelled during the heat spike. The added food source and the current will greatly aid in their recovery. It will take time so you will have to just place them and not move them. It could take 3 months to a year, but I have seen recovery in as little as 5 months.

Bleached polyps are also vulnerable polyps. Susceptible to disease, predation and starvation, so keep your eyes on them and watch for inverts and fish which might think they are dead/dying and go after them. I would ever consider inverting a plastic reef safe type of covering which allows light penetration and food to enter but keeps fish and large inverts out. Just a thought to consider depending on the severity of the bleaching and how widespread it is.

OP
OP
easternreefer

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these were on the underside of some live rock I purchased. so bleached refers more to the color than the event (I hope) but we will see. they are much more open than they were. Initially they were so tight that they looked like balls. they have opened even more now that I moved them up to midway in the tank instead of the bottom. the tank is cycling. but feeding was something I thought about. great info. headed into town today so I will pick up some food.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With bleaching being a huge problem with global warming I wonder if scientists r making zooxanthellae solutions like we have dr Tim’s to help with oceans and indirectly home reefers

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it me, or do they look like they are getting a hint of color?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS a few of entire colony of Zoa and other softies in light yellow colors but they are look darn good and all other coral in their display tank are normal so why only a few bleached? or is it just their original color? I was in impression that they are bleached so I didn't buy it.

OP
OP
easternreefer

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not fed them up until today. the tank is cycling.. today I crushed up some shrimp pellets and turned all my pumps off and spot fed the colony. they ate it quite quickly. We will see what happens.

OP
OP
easternreefer

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest pics. Hard to see but there is some green fluorescence on the stems. Mouths are staying a very light green. These are starting to look like they may end up being pretty.

20171119_083719.jpg

20171119_083711.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back