Blenny lifespan?

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5327.jpeg

My flame tail blenny has been acting tired for the past few days. He’s not breathing hard and he doesn’t have any white spots. His poop is normal. Tank has no ammonia and it also doesn’t have anything in it that picks on him. He’s literally just been laying around on rocks and the sand for a few days now and I think he may be dying of old age? I’ve had him for over a year now and when I got him he was this size. He try’s to eat but is having trouble staying in the water column long enough to eat. Does this seem right? Could he just be dying of old age? I read the live 1-3 years and since he was full grown and I’ve had him for a year I think this might be the case

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5327.jpeg

My flame tail blenny has been acting tired for the past few days. He’s not breathing hard and he doesn’t have any white spots. His poop is normal. Tank has no ammonia and it also doesn’t have anything in it that picks on him. He’s literally just been laying around on rocks and the sand for a few days now and I think he may be dying of old age? I’ve had him for over a year now and when I got him he was this size. He try’s to eat but is having trouble staying in the water column long enough to eat. Does this seem right? Could he just be dying of old age? I read the live 1-3 years and since he was full grown and I’ve had him for a year I think this might be the case
this also is a fish only tank where all fish went through 30 days copper 14 days prazi and i fed metroplexed food while doing the prazi. id be honestly really shocked if i had a parasite in here because i dont even have inverts. thats what leads me to think life span.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this also is a fish only tank where all fish went through 30 days copper 14 days prazi and i fed metroplexed food while doing the prazi. id be honestly really shocked if i had a parasite in here because i dont even have inverts. thats what leads me to think life span.
I can't help with the blenny issue, but having parasites and having inverts in the tank have no relationship.

(unless you dose copper in the DT of course)

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help with the blenny issue, but having parasites and having inverts in the tank have no relationship.

(unless you dose copper in the DT of course)
Inverts Carry fish disease, and can introduce them into your tank, as can corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_5327.jpeg

May be a buoyancy or internal issue as many are susceptible to liver issues or even edema where they are slowly starving and feeding off their own livers while getting weaker

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It could be life span related, but no way to really tell.

If all of the other fish in the tank are doing well, then whatever it is relates to just this one fish. Sometimes, captive fish develop mycobacterium infections, fish tuberculosis. This is not treatable, and since only older fish get this, it is one of the reasons that fish die of "old age".

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back