blue throat trigger qting

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all i just got a fox face a few days ago and got a blue throat trigger today and there both in my qt tank . i waited to start copper treatment till i got both fish and was just wondering if blue throat handle cooper treatment good ? my qt is pretty small for these fish but i hope all goes good and they wont be in there for long .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hi all i just got a fox face a few days ago and got a blue throat trigger today and there both in my qt tank . i waited to start copper treatment till i got both fish and was just wondering if blue throat handle cooper treatment good ? my qt is pretty small for these fish but i hope all goes good and they wont be in there for long .
Coppersafe which is a more consistent chealted copper would have been my preference but do monitor the therapeutic level 0.50 with a reliable copper test kit - no api brand

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the replys the stuff I have is copper power
That changes everything. Therapeutic level is 2.25-2.5
Still monitor with copper kit

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive taken 2 blue throat triggers through QT with copper power they were fine dont be worried if he hides mine would only eat if i stayed hidden lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys the stuff I have is copper power
If you dose copper power to label instructions, you'll end up with a copper dose of around 2.10 ppm. People have found this isn't quite high enough in some cases. If you have a Hanna copper test, you can adjust the dose to 2.5 ppm. That is tough to do using a liquid test reagent though.

You say the QT is pretty small - a common failure of quarantine is not due to the medications used, but with some environmental factor in the tank itself (usually high ammonia).

Jay

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dose copper power to label instructions, you'll end up with a copper dose of around 2.10 ppm. People have found this isn't quite high enough in some cases. If you have a Hanna copper test, you can adjust the dose to 2.5 ppm. That is tough to do using a liquid test reagent though.

You say the QT is pretty small - a common failure of quarantine is not due to the medications used, but with some environmental factor in the tank itself (usually high ammonia).

Jay
yea thats what am worried about but am keeping water on hand/ ammonia pads and have been dosing bacteria to the tank . i used cycled media to from my display tank

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how fast should i ramp up copper? i just got a new tank and put them in there as the other one was to small but i was thinking of going 2.96 pur day till i get up to the 2.50

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how fast should i ramp up copper? i just got a new tank and put them in there as the other one was to small but i was thinking of going 2.96 pur day till i get up to the 2.50
2.96 per day? Must be a typo? Going too slow is more of an issue than raising it too fast. Adding copper slowly is an artifact of the old ionic copper / citric acid medications. Copper power can be ramped up in a day. The only reason to even do it that slow is just to ensure that you don’t make a mistake in the dose, and adding some and then testing then adding some makes sure that won’t happen.
Jay

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.96 per day? Must be a typo? Going too slow is more of an issue than raising it too fast. Adding copper slowly is an artifact of the old ionic copper / citric acid medications. Copper power can be ramped up in a day. The only reason to even do it that slow is just to ensure that you don’t make a mistake in the dose, and adding some and then testing then adding some makes sure that won’t happen.
Jay
it was 2.96 ml per day i just didnt want to go to fast the tank is a 29 g tank and i think it would be 1.48 per g to get to 2.5 ppm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was 2.96 ml per day i just didnt want to go to fast the tank is a 29 g tank and i think it would be 1.48 per g to get to 2.5 ppm
Oh, well, you should get to a full dose of copper power in 24 hours, and many people find they need to go to 2.5 ppm in order for it to work well.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back