Bored with the Reef....

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not sell one of your least liked colonies and replace it with a couple of new corals?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this, I think I enjoy starting tanks more than I enjoy actually having them. I love my tank and still love to just sit and watch it but it just does not compare to starting a tank and seeing it slowly get better. I agree with a lot of people here saying either start a new tank or try a new project in your tank (breeding clowns or something)

homegrowncoral88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like if I get bored with the tank trying to find some real rare pieces always gets me back in. Once you have overcome the challenge of perfecting a reef tank it seems like the challenge of finding those new pieces helps. Also if you are fragging stuff you might try and see if your lfs would like to purchase and sell some livestock. Making some cash on the side always helps. Also agreed with the nano tank option as well.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're just bored because your attention has shifted to cars. Wait until the Z is done and you have a G37 in your driveway. You'll be bored with cars then and be right back into the reef.

I'm right there with you though. Once I put my tank on cruise control I instantly got bored with it. I think we are used to "it always being something" that keeps our attention at all times required to have a successful reef.

Go on a vacation! Murphy and his stupid law will bring your attention back to the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im right there with you man. At least you are getting to add new fish!

yeah.. but having to QT them is very annoying..

Seriously? This shouldn't even be a question. This should be when you setup the second tank. Duh! :D Do a 5g nano and challenge yourself with it.

I say this half joking, half serious. :)

Brandon

i've thought about it, i 1st got into the hobby with a nano but a pico tied in would be kewl

My tank is also on cruise control. Letting it grow in. Next challenge. Growing rotifers and making baby clownfishes

bow chicka wow wow

Seriously... have you thought about breeding, nanos, or other tanks/challenges, Kevan?

Let us help enable another part of the addiction. :nerd: :wacko:

Brandon

really dont want it to take over the house.. if i had a fish room then that could work

I went over there last night. One reason for being bored is that he only scrapes the glass every Friday. I would be bored too if I couldnt see inside my tank...:squigglemouth:

i've always cleaned the glass once a week... just part of the friday maintenance.. unless somone is coming over..

Why not sell one of your least liked colonies and replace it with a couple of new corals?

i've got a huge WetThumbs highlighter colony... you want?

You could always come over here and help me recover from the "coralcide."

if i'm come over youve gotta include some brass!

You're just bored because your attention has shifted to cars. Wait until the Z is done and you have a G37 in your driveway. You'll be bored with cars then and be right back into the reef.

I'm right there with you though. Once I put my tank on cruise control I instantly got bored with it. I think we are used to "it always being something" that keeps our attention at all times required to have a successful reef.

Go on a vacation! Murphy and his stupid law will bring your attention back to the tank.

yeah i guess.... like the wifey saids too many dang hobbies.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of it boils down to the build aspect being done. You put so much time and effort into the planning and building of your set up now that the build is done you don't necessarily have plans for beyond that.

Soon enough, something will respark the fire.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of it boils down to the build aspect being done. You put so much time and effort into the planning and building of your set up now that the build is done you don't necessarily have plans for beyond that.

Soon enough, something will respark the fire.

I believe this is exactly what's going on Brandon.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I pretty much don't know how to act now that the build is done.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Best way is to share your knowledge with others. Having kept Saltwater since the early 80's sharing what I have learned and what I am learning keeps me from being bored with anything. A reeef tank is never finished it is an evoling thing and changes over time.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back