Bought Live Rock - Lots of Hitchikers

drcrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought live rock from the LFS and ended up with a ton of hitchikers. I'm hoping to get some of these ID'd and maybe some hints as to how to keep the ones that are good alive. I bought the rock to help cycle the tank; so I'm crossing my fingers here because some look pretty good.

The forum is being weird about this one image; so I'll post a reply with the final hitchiker I could get a picture of so far.

Algae_1.jpg

coral_2.jpg

#3 - Zoas; but possibly 2 kinds? Thoughts on palytoxin from these guys?
coral_3.jpg

#4 There are those orange things and also some kinda blue thing.
coral_4.jpg

#5. There are 2 different kinds of corals and aptasia on here that I could see. There is the blue thing that is obvious and then right in front of the aptasia are these other tiny blue things.
coral_5.jpg

#6 No idea what this is.

unknown_1.jpg

Algae_1.jpg

coral_2.jpg

coral_3.jpg

coral_4.jpg

coral_5.jpg

unknown_1.jpg

unknown_2.jpg

View attachment coral_6.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like true live rock straight from the sea. You got some sponges & a button/zoanthid & and some tube worms which aren't cool. There is stuff in there You won't see for years ! Good & bad. But all that good bacteria is by far the best of all.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that one looks like aiptasia. I wouldn't worry about palyotoxin. Just be careful if you ever frag them or remove them. To be extra safe use gloves when handling in case you have a cut or something (but you should do that anyway).

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd think the tube worms aren't good or the apastia. Is the rock recently from the sea? If so, I bet there is a lot good & bad you haven't seen yet.
I'm old school & just love live rock & all the life it comes with good & bad.

OP
OP
drcrook

drcrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cracker I'm not sure; my LFS ordered it. From my understanding they have had it for a very long time in that tank. They put all their new arrival non predatory fish into that tank along with various other things.

I'm definitely with you on fresh ocean rock. I love discovering the critters. I'll try to get an aptasia eater to remove that; I might keep the tube worms though; they are neat. What makes them bad?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget the name but some put out long snotty strands for catching food out of the water column , I understand these can irritate corals & such.

they are called vermitids . Look them up !

OP
OP
drcrook

drcrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes; I don't like them that much. I've got some clippers to cut them up.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your tube worms are Vermitid. Any I have ever seen have a short dark tube that has a bit of a coil on the end and nothing comes out except the long string to catch stuff when your tank is pretty stirred up. Any feather or fronds coming out of the tube (like I believe I am seeing in your pics) would be a duster of some type and are good filter feeders and you want them. Looks like you got some interesting Hitchers!

SOCOM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your live rock looks good and healthy. How much was it a pound?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your tube worms are Vermitid. Any I have ever seen have a short dark tube that has a bit of a coil on the end and nothing comes out except the long string to catch stuff when your tank is pretty stirred up. Any feather or fronds coming out of the tube (like I believe I am seeing in your pics) would be a duster of some type and are good filter feeders and you want them. Looks like you got some interesting Hitchers!
More I look at pic, think you are right about feather duster id; if so a good score

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those are not vermitids.

IMO, those tubeworms are a little ugly, but harmless and probably beneficial. Vermitids are usually m
It was pricey at $8/pound. But it was local so shipping was a 45 minute drive from there to home.
That's not bad considering how much life came with it.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last picture looks like a goniopora
Looks like some radioactive Zoa
Tube feather dusters
Aiptasia
Sponge
Few good bits on them rock
Wonder if them rocks came from a tank breakdown

OP
OP
drcrook

drcrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what it looks like with the rocks in there. I tried to spread them between the dried rock to help bootstrap the dried rock. They are pretty big peices with lots of life. I found some kind of clam thing and also a brittle star exploring the dried rock when I grabbed some lunch. I'd say all in all; great live rock purchase.

Tank_Rocks_1.jpg

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lot of life for rock from a LFS. Nice thing is tank has no fish or pricey coral, just keep an eye on everything that comes out of the rock. A lot of critters come out at night after lights out, so keep a flash light handy. Also if you want the coraline spreading make sure your Ca, Alk, and mag are at good levels.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#7 is Alveopora

#3 zoas, yes. my thoughts on palytoxin... take proper precautions. if you must handle them, use gloves, tongs, and glasses if need be.
Also, a bunch of vermetid snails in this photo.

#2 at first glance looks like a sponge. but, I think, it looks more like a foram (foraminiferan).

#1 Spirorbis worms. Also see something resembling branching algae but it's hard to make out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back