Box fish acting strange

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the little dude for 2 weeks in copper quarantine. Tank has been stable with ammonia low (ammonia alert). I turned up the heater a few degrees today so I'm worried it may be related, since turned it back down a similar amount. Normal behavior was near the top of the tank and always interested in me walking up and following my face. Now just at the bottom staring at the floor and flapping faster it seems.

Is this box fish having an issue or just being goofy? I want to knee jerk move it in my display tank to help but I'm a few days off the mark for copper.

Nitrite and nitrate read high on these strips but from what I've read those aren't huge killers? I did 30% water change at 1 week mark.

Thank you

20240109_224035.jpg 20240109_224029.jpg 20240109_224017.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had the little dude for 2 weeks in copper quarantine. Tank has been stable with ammonia low (ammonia alert). I turned up the heater a few degrees today so I'm worried it may be related, since turned it back down a similar amount. Normal behavior was near the top of the tank and always interested in me walking up and following my face. Now just at the bottom staring at the floor and flapping faster it seems.

Is this box fish having an issue or just being goofy? I want to knee jerk move it in my display tank to help but I'm a few days off the mark for copper.

Nitrite and nitrate read high on these strips but from what I've read those aren't huge killers? I did 30% water change at 1 week mark.

Thank you

20240109_224035.jpg 20240109_224029.jpg 20240109_224017.jpg

Not an abnormal swim pattern for this type of fish which seems to be chasing its reflection off the bottom. This fish is not for the novice and as with a cowfish is picky with water quality and is an omnivore and needs a variety of meats to eat.
To buy a fish of this nature and rely on test strips which are often false is asking for trouble.
Owe it to yourself to invest in reliable test kits such as Hanna or salifert brands.
Disregard nitrite level which applies to freshwater as does these test strips.

Last edited:

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agreee… kinda looks like it is looking at itself.

But just to be safe, read up on copper treating boxfish. They are sensitive as is and I read that they are especially sensitive to copper! Not sure if you know or not just fyi

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like it's after its reflection, yeah. Maybe the light has shifted somehow and made its reflection more obvious to it? Or maybe it's finally gotten tired of what it thinks is another fish. Bare-bottom tanks are non-ideal for a reason.
(note: painting the bottom, covering it in tile, coating it in algae, or otherwise making the bottom no longer reflective all fix that problem.)

Nitrites are essentially nontoxic in saltwater- you need a comically large, near-impossible amount to do anything. Nitrates are also generally not a big concern, though they can be a problem at levels that are fine for nitrites. And, yes, you need to get a better test kit- those strips are notoriously inaccurate. Not an API test kit, either- also inaccurate.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah I agreee… kinda looks like it is looking at itself.

But just to be safe, read up on copper treating boxfish. They are sensitive as is and I read that they are especially sensitive to copper! Not sure if you know or not just fyi
Copper not recommended as they have plates in lieu of scales and best is general cure for treatment if and when needed

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I have Hanna for copper I wouldn't rely on anything else. I'm at 2.25 with copper safe and had asked previously seemed to be ok there. Fish has been fine for 13 days in this level. I did also use general cure+copper method. I'll get Hanna nitrate since I plan to do coral later. General cure 2nd dose was 5 days ago, no issues.

Should I just move it to the display tank? Seems general consensus is it's not urgent and just lookin at the reflection.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get him from? I've never QTD but to each their own (I got ich as a result haha... thankfully no fish died but now its in my tank)

Anyways I don't think there is a big problem in keeping it in the qt tank for longer except maybe as vetteguy said the copper... but if you observed 13 days of it being fine then it should be fine. Just don't change the parameters too much and make sure to feed them nori, meaty foods, etc (but a big clip of nori per day is what id do along with frozen foods)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I have Hanna for copper I wouldn't rely on anything else. I'm at 2.25 with copper safe and had asked previously seemed to be ok there. Fish has been fine for 13 days in this level. I did also use general cure+copper method. I'll get Hanna nitrate since I plan to do coral later. General cure 2nd dose was 5 days ago, no issues.

Should I just move it to the display tank? Seems general consensus is it's not urgent and just lookin at the reflection.
This does look like glass surfing. Is the fish still eating well? If so, that’s most likely it.

These fish are really prone to protozoan diseases, so you should run a full 30 day copper treatment, at the very least, 21 days.

Jay

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does look like glass surfing. Is the fish still eating well? If so, that’s most likely it.

These fish are really prone to protozoan diseases, so you should run a full 30 day copper treatment, at the very least, 21 days.

Jay

Added him recently to the display tank close to 3 weeks per your recommendation. Seems to be acclimating well!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back