Breaking up / reforming lousy dry rock.

mik3c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I came into the hobby too late but it seems like there really isn't a lot of great rock available and that it's just going to be that way now so I'm seeing a lot of people (including myself) experimenting with different ways of breaking up lumpy, chunky dry rock and reforming it into more interesting shapes. Of course this isn't anything new, but it seems likely that increasingly this is going to be the approach taken to creating marine aquascapes and there are plenty of threads discussing different techniques for joining, stacking, etc. but I wonder if it might be worth a thread (if one doesn't already exist) collecting and discussing these techniques broadly. A few things that come to mind are:

Types & sources of base rock (live/base/purple concrete/whatever)
Fracturing & working rocks: chisel, drill, file, hulk-smash?
Joining/bonding: pegs, epoxies, putties, cements & additives
Hiding seams
Shutting up about the rule of thirds already

I thought aquascaping was going to be my favorite part of this process and be this nice peaceful zen rock-stacking thing but now I kind of want to burn my apartment down, scrape off my fingerprints, walk away and start a new life.

A couple of things I learned about working with the cement(that e-marco stuff but I think you can use more commonplace "home depot" stuff with an acrylic additive.) It adheres better when it's wet so I spray the surfaces with RODI, squish them together with a lump of whatever you're using, then I spray it again and work it in a bit. Then - this might be key - I set the piece in a foil pan full of sand which holds it securely in place. It seems like if I do that, as long as it doesn't move at all for the first couple of hours I get a pretty good bond and I can build a few pieces at once this way.

Also I've been stringing pieces of small rock on stiff titanium wire like beads on a string, bending it around a little and locking the pieces in place with epoxy to create twisting, branching structures. Did anyone else try this?

I'll snap a few pictures but photography might be the only thing I do worse than aquascaping.

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have the vision for creating cool sculptures. I tried a couple times and just ended up tearing them apart. I have worked with the Marco stuff too. Made little clam holders that work well enough.
I would love to see pictures though. I have to add more of my sump rock and live rock to the system here in a couple weeks. Should be a tearing out hair kind of day.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tuned in for pics! Aquascaping was hard for me too. I had a vision and ended up with two piles of rocks. I didn’t want to cement anything because I knew I wouldn’t like it long term. Now I’m scared to move any rocks for fear of hurting sand creatures or smashing fish.

OP
OP
mik3c

mik3c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pieces I did this weekend, rather than try to imagine a structure and make it happen I'm just smashing up rocks and sticking them back together into more interesting fragments. Here's a few test pieces , there's still some visible seams but I can touch those up.
20200810_065128.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mik3c

mik3c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I can say is that I think I'm getting better results this way than I was before so I'm going to keep doing this until I figure out this nightmare plumbing situation I created for myself....

OP
OP
mik3c

mik3c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those are MUCH more interesting than my rock piles! was any of that wet rock? I wonder if the cement works wet rock...

Thanks! Also that is all just plain, bulk dry rock, however my guess is that the cement will work as well or possibly better on wet rock. i run into adhesion problems when the surface or mixture itself is too dry so I spray it with RODI water to wet it anyway.

OP
OP
mik3c

mik3c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the third pic down a lot. Much more interesting than just big pieces of rock.

Thanks, yeah I like that one too. Once I put a few pieces together that were longer or branched or curved it seems much easier to create an interesting aquascape, those were all just quick 10 second sketches from the same few pieces, I think it worked out pretty well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back