Breeding Wrasses, anyone do it? Here's my female holding eggs.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, first regarding your fish, most likely it's either fat due to simply being well fed or it may have an internal blockage. The eggs in Labroides are generally quite small and don't really make the fish have an overly gravid appearance.

As for wrasses being captive bread in general, it's not exactly simple being pelagic spawners. As Larry linked above, the melanurus is the only species which has been done successfully with the intent. Bali Aquarich has also had cleaner wrasses spawn/settle/grow in their ponds, but that's not exactly the same thing for a fair comparison.

I know of a few other species of wrasses which are being worked on right now (nothing all that exciting - it's more of a learning how exercise). However, at a hobbyist level there isn't anything.

OP
OP
CFC_Surge

CFC_Surge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on guys. I have also noticed my supermale Rosy Scale flashing at her a lot recently. I'm sure the chances of anything surviving are non existent, but I figured Id post up anyways.
Thanks for the replies.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, first regarding your fish, most likely it's either fat due to simply being well fed or it may have an internal blockage. The eggs in Labroides are generally quite small and don't really make the fish have an overly gravid appearance.

As for wrasses being captive bread in general, it's not exactly simple being pelagic spawners. As Larry linked above, the melanurus is the only species which has been done successfully with the intent. Bali Aquarich has also had cleaner wrasses spawn/settle/grow in their ponds, but that's not exactly the same thing for a fair comparison.

I know of a few other species of wrasses which are being worked on right now (nothing all that exciting - it's more of a learning how exercise). However, at a hobbyist level there isn't anything.
^This about all I know on the subject as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back