Brown Sand Bed Only with Lights On and Low Nutrients. What to do?

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ended up with Brooke in my tank so I had to remove all fish for 6 weeks. My tank was about a year old at the time and seemed healthy. Now, after adding back the 3 fish that survived and feeding the tank again, my sand bed is covered with a brown algae that seems to disappear at night. There is also what looks like some cyano on the rocks. I tested my nutrients and they are extremely low. Phosphate was 0.08 and Nitrate was 0.1. Previously my Phosphate was running around 0.2 and Nitrate was around 15. I guess I should have fed the tank more during fallow period. So, my questions are...

1) Any idea what this is?

2) What should I be doing about it?

Thanks!

i-MQWDNSf-XL.jpg

i-r5BnzvL-XL.jpg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Dinos. If you have actual cyano you can treat that with chemiclean . Use a cheap microscope to ID possible Dinos and check the R2R threads for possible treatment.. Definitely get the nutrients up esp. the nitrate.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like Dinos. If you have actual cyano you can treat that with chemiclean . Use a cheap microscope to ID possible Dinos and check the R2R threads for possible treatment.. Definitely get the nutrients up esp. the nitrate.

I have a friend who is checking with a microscope so I will know more today. What is the best way to increase nutrients? I only have 3 fish at the moment and the tank is 150 gallons. Thanks.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who is checking with a microscope so I will know more today. What is the best way to increase nutrients? I only have 3 fish at the moment and the tank is 150 gallons. Thanks.
Neo Nitro is an option. I haven’t used it mysel but I heard it works pretty well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back