Brown wafer Algae (lobophora), any ideas?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone had success getting rid of this stuff? I have been battling for about a year and getting nowhere. I keep my nutrients detectable, but not crazy. 0.03-0.07 phosphate and 10-20 ppm No3. When I try and go lower my corals are unhappy.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just in case someone else is trying to battle the same demon I will chime in on what's working for me. First started with a couple tuxedo urchins. They do a good job, but I'd need like 10 since they both seem to want to hang out on the glass and I need workers on the live rock. So I did a little looking on other forums (hey, no one had any ideas here) and saw a couple instances where naso tangs ate brown algae. I couldn't find any small ones locally so ordered one on line. I got a "small" which is about 2.25". So far so good. After a couple days hanging out he's started to attack the brown algae pretty much non stop. If the yellow tang would leave him alone he'd be making even better headway. The yellow tang only seems interested in green algae (which I don't have naturally, I use dried on a clip) and the naso doesn't seem interested in it (green). Anyway, here's hoping this dude makes a decent dent in the brown wafer algae.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Naso continues to go to town on the Lobophora, and now the yellow tang has realized it can be eaten (or just doesn't want the Naso to show her up). The tangs seem to pull more than they eat so there is some litter on the bottom which I'm happy to vacuum up with the water changes.

Heartbreak7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that type of algae in my tank, it is frustrating as you watch it grow over everything. One thing that seemed to slow it down/kill some of it for me was running elevated magnesium levels for a bit. You just have to ensure you test frequently so you don’t get it too high. Good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back